Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valens SECVRITAS RIC Type  (Read 249 times)

Derek H

Valens SECVRITAS RIC Type
« on: December 02, 2021, 02:25:23 pm »
Hello,

I have another coin for which I can’t determine the RIC type.

Here’s what I have:

Obverse: DNVALEN-SPFAVG

Reverse: SECVRITAS-REIPUBLICAE

Victory advancing left

* over F
 :Greek_Alpha: (?) SISC

2.44g

I think it’s either RIC IX 7b or 15b. Which, if either of these, is it?

By the way, what is the difference in these types? Is it a matter of field or mint marks?

Thank you

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Valens SECVRITAS RIC Type
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 08:27:19 pm »
The mark is partly obscured.  It is either * F / S or * F / M.  I believe it is the latter.

There are some small crusts/adhesions still on the coin that are hard to make out as they are the same color as the rest of the patina.  For example you can see them in the ear and eye on the obverse and in Victory's skirt and below her wings on the reverse.  It look like there is an M below the wings.

This * F  / M would then be RIC-IX-Siscia-15b(xvi), likely struck in the first third of 370 AD.

The mint mark is ASISC - with the odd Siscia A.

RIC 7 were struck in the first period 364-367 when only Valentinian I and Valens ruled.  RUC-15 in the second period 367-375 when Valentinian I, Valens and Gratian ruled.  The only difference though are the mint and field marks.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity