Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Roman odd mount (or matrix)

(1/2) > >>

Kilian O:
Good evening!

Came across this rather odd-looking mount that's applied on a bronze piece or is cast that way. It looks like a roman pelta mount for horse harness but I can't see the suspension loop having any function.
Really puzzled by the big bronze piece it is fitted on.

Any thoughts what it might be?
 ???

SC:
How big is it?

I am wondering if it might be a matrix - a positive used to create the negative image in a mould which is then used to cast the item?

SC

Renate H:
... or an embossing stamp for metal or leather?

I think it is unlikely that it is Roman. Above I see two winged animals. This is very reminiscent of oriental motifs as they were used from antiquity to the Middle Ages and partly even longer. Below them could be horses' heads, unfortunately they are indistinct. Nowadays, things of this kind often come from the European south of Russia. Motifs and style are reminiscent of the Suvar (Chuvash) culture, which is strongly influenced by Mesopotamia and the area around the Caspian Sea.

The attached pictures are not exact matches, but they show what I mean. They come from the book: Yuvenaliev, Yuri; Yuvenaliev, S. : Культура суваро-булгар. Этническая религия и мифологические представления. The culture of the Suvaro-Bulgars. Ethnic Religion and Mythological Concepts. 2013 . It is written in Russian, with wonderful illustrations and captions in English. The captions to the attached pictures:

Winged Lion
Images of the Goddess of scorching heat and war – Sohmet (Sehmet):
1. Sohmet. Hurrian Egiptian relief.
2. Image of Sehmet on a bowl. Bulgar Ulus of the Golden Horde. 13–14th centuries.
3. Greek coin. Kaunos. 3d century BC.
4. Image of Sehmet on a coin of the 19th century. Engraving.
5. Image of Sehmet on a bronze mirror. Volga Bulgaria. 10–13th centuries.

Aji Dacha
Images of mythical Aji Dacha. Volga Bulgars. Bulgar Ulus of the Golden Horde. 10–14th centuries.

Kilian O:

--- Quote from: otlichnik on September 22, 2021, 06:00:37 pm ---How big is it?

I am wondering if it might be a matrix - a positive used to create the negative image in a mould which is then used to cast the item?

SC

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure Shawn saw it listed online and wasn't described. I'd guess arround the same sizes as similar harness mounts. Your theory of a matrix seems to be the most logical and I feel that might be what it is. It's a really intriguing. Do you know of any types that have like this one 2 animals (possibly Pegasus) on the top?

Kilian O:

--- Quote from: n0x on September 23, 2021, 02:15:11 am ---... or an embossing stamp for metal or leather?

I think it is unlikely that it is Roman. Above I see two winged animals. This is very reminiscent of oriental motifs as they were used from antiquity to the Middle Ages and partly even longer. Below them could be horses' heads, unfortunately they are indistinct. Nowadays, things of this kind often come from the European south of Russia. Motifs and style are reminiscent of the Suvar (Chuvash) culture, which is strongly influenced by Mesopotamia and the area around the Caspian Sea.

The attached pictures are not exact matches, but they show what I mean. They come from the book: Yuvenaliev, Yuri; Yuvenaliev, S. : Культура суваро-булгар. Этническая религия и мифологические представления. The culture of the Suvaro-Bulgars. Ethnic Religion and Mythological Concepts. 2013 . It is written in Russian, with wonderful illustrations and captions in English. The captions to the attached pictures:

Winged Lion
Images of the Goddess of scorching heat and war – Sohmet (Sehmet):
1. Sohmet. Hurrian Egiptian relief.
2. Image of Sehmet on a bowl. Bulgar Ulus of the Golden Horde. 13–14th centuries.
3. Greek coin. Kaunos. 3d century BC.
4. Image of Sehmet on a coin of the 19th century. Engraving.
5. Image of Sehmet on a bronze mirror. Volga Bulgaria. 10–13th centuries.

Aji Dacha
Images of mythical Aji Dacha. Volga Bulgars. Bulgar Ulus of the Golden Horde. 10–14th centuries.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your insight! These should almost certainly be Roman given how similar they look to other mounts having the same suspension loop. You can see what I mean in this picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version