Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Plastic envelopes in boxes ?

(1/4) > >>

Heliodromus:
I'm still trying to decide the best way to store my growing collection. I want a way to store a largeish collection (currently ~1200 coins) in a compact way while retaining ease of access and ability to quickly locate and remove coins for photos/etc. I used to use albums with flips in pocket pages (1.5" flips, 1.5" pockets), which worked well enough, but my collection has grown to the point where the number of albums needed would be inconvenient. As a result, while half my collection still is in albums, the other half is not stored in any useful way at all!

What I do like about albums is that you can group/arrange the coins in meaningful ways then page thru them and see them at a glance. What I don't like about flips-in-pockets is that they can, and do, slide out if you're not careful turning pages/etc. Also, the more pages you have the less they lie flat due to varied contents.

My dream storage solution would be a large coin cabinet where the coins can be permanently arranged and viewed, but I'm not comfortable with the security issue of having my whole collection out in the open like that.

So... the solution I'm considering is having the collection in envelopes, of some sort, in 2x2 slide/coin boxes, probably grouped by mint (else date), with the envelopes labelled and ordered for quick location by reference number or type. I could possibly then combine this with a small desktop cabinet to store a selection of ~100 coins which could be rotated from time to time.

I was originally thinking of paper envelopes, but am now wondering about plastic ones instead which would seem to allow for faster visual selection, and allow me to play with groupings without even taking them out of the envelope. I wonder if anyone has tried this combination - plastic envelopes in boxes? I see some recent posts with plastic flips, but really prefer something the coins can't fall out of, yet can be easily be taken out of (for photography, weighing, etc) and returned as needed.

There's a German company Kobra that has some interesting clear resealable plastic envelopes, which they suggest using in slide boxes, but I'm guessing they're too flexible to stand up on edge which would be necessary to easily flip though the labels and locate coins.

https://www.kobra.de/en/Coins/Coin-Pockets/Coin-Pockets.html

Has anyone tried plastic envelopes in boxes ? Any other suggestions for compact storage while retaining accessibility/view-ability ?

Ben

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on April 24, 2021, 04:49:11 pm ---There's a German company Kobra that has some interesting clear resealable plastic envelopes

--- End quote ---

Good idea, but why not buy from FORVM?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=43198q00.jpg&vpar=861&zpg=76099&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Enodia:
I use the archival plastic flips, which hold the coin and its tag, and then put them in safe plastic pages which I keep in a binder. Not particularly classy but safe and condensed while still allowing ease of access.

- Peter

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---Good idea, but why not buy from FORVM?
--- End quote ---

I was referring to the resealable "Coin pockets" (pic below), not the flips ... but as I said they don't appear stiff enough to stand upright in boxes.

Ben

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---I use the archival plastic flips, which hold the coin and its tag, and then put them in safe plastic pages which I keep in a binder. Not particularly classy but safe and condensed while still allowing ease of access.
--- End quote ---

Yes - that's my current solution. It's an enjoyable way to organize/view them. But, with what I'm guessing is only 1/2 my collection stored that way I'm already up to 4 albums, so would be looking at 8+ for the full collection, and the flips (or information cards I sometimes put in) falling out of pockets when moved around is a real annoyance.

That same Kobra company has an interesting alternative type of pages where the coins go into half-page "carriers" rather than flips, which might be an improvement.

https://www.kobra.de/en/Coins/Coin-Albums/Coin-Pages.html

I'd really prefer a more compact storage solution where I can put them in safe or even just hide them someplace. Lots of albums becomes rather bulky.

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version