Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Corn ears"?  (Read 4190 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
"Corn ears"?
« on: August 20, 2004, 08:25:18 am »
This question might have been asked before here on the Forvm and it might be a bit naive...but why do some descriptions of coin reverses refer to "corn ears"? I always thought corn was a New World plant brought over to Europe during the age of Discovery a 1000+ years after Rome fell.

And if it isn't "corn ears" depicted, what is it really supposed to be?

I know, kind of a dumb question but it always bothered me a little.

Offline Springbank

• Praetorian
  • Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords.
Re:"Corn ears"?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 08:28:06 am »
I think they were referring to "Barley Corn."   The ears that I have seen on coins were barley.   One reference says that the British referred to all grain as "corn."  Perhaps one the members on the other side of the pond will have more info.
"The gods are on the side of the stronger."

-- Tacitus

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 09:00:13 am »
Hi!

This question has bothered me some time before and I have read about it. And that is, what I have found:
'Corn' is not a special plant, but usually corn is called that grain, which is the main planted grain in a special country. Therefore
in the USA corn = maize,
in the UK   corn = wheat,
in Germany corn = rye!
So 1946 when a great starving was in the post-war Germany, the Americans asked some German administrators what they should do for helping and after they answered 'Send corn', Germany was flooded with maize, a grain absolute unusual for the German people at that time and so caused some problems.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 09:15:49 am »
Thank you both for your answers.

A matter of vernacular, I should've thought as much!

I had no idea corn had so many different meanings.

I learn something new everyday here! :)

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 09:46:10 am »
From 'Der kleine Pauly, Lexikon der Antike' I want to add:

1. Hordeum, barley, was planted in Greek in the earliest time, because it was growing in this region better than the early wheat. In Attika f.e. there was in the 4th century ten times so much barley than wheat. Then peu a peu it was replaced by nude-wheat, for this has more proteins. Today in Attika there is only one third of barley and two third of wheat! Barley now ist often for feeding animals.

2. Triticum, wheat, was the main grain in Italy. There were two variants, nude-wheat and spelted(?)-wheat (with long hairs!), lat. = far. The nude-wheat slowly replaced the spelted(?)-wheat, especially when the hexaploid form of wheat was cultivated. In the Imperial times this form, called lat. siligo, was the main form for bread. So with the name lat. frumentum = corn, this hexaploid nude-wheat was meant. I think the famous 'corn-ears' hanging out of a modius are from this form too!

3. Sicale, rye: North of the Alpes mountains the weather and the climate was so cold and wet, that the growing conditions for wheat were too bad. Therefore from the North- and the Baltic Sea rye, lat. sicale or secale, spread out southwards to the Alpes. Only when winter resistent wheat forms were cultivated the area under rye cultivation goes back again to the northern parts of Europe.

Please excuse my English, I had to translate it from German and many special words I couldn't find in my dictionary!

Regards,
Jochen

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 09:48:04 am »
Maize, the evil stuff that gets stuck in your teeth like nothing else. ;)
                                     LordBest. 8)  

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 10:18:13 am »
So, much of the "corn ears" described on Roman coins are just varieties of wheat!

No corn on the cob on the Palatine then. ;D

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 12:09:25 pm »
There are three forms of 'corn' traditionally grown in the UK, wheat, barley and rye. 'Corn' unqualified tends to mean wheat, since that's the main one grown. Sweet corn is a relative newcomer.

I remember something on one of the Biblical Studies lists two or three years ago, but I can't find it in the archives. The wheat grown in Palestine back then (I'm assuming similar varieties would have been grown across the empire) had a lot fewer grains per ear than modern wheat; if memory serves me (it doesn't always) then it had something like 20-30 grains in an average ear. The 'Anchor Bible Dictionary' merely says it was Durum wheat, and that a wide range of varieties was grown. So basically, yes, it is ears of wheat on the coinage.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Polyploidity
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 01:43:06 pm »
Hi Robert!

You are right with the number of grains in the ear.
The success of wheat is a question of its polyploidity, that is the multiplication of its sets of chromosomes. That led to a multiplication of grains in the ears.
The cultivation of wheat began in the Neolithicum when mankind became resident. This was an early genetic manipulation by cultivation. The first cultivated wheat has two sets of chromosomes, called 'diploid'. This is Einkorn, Triticum monococcum, and the Einkorn-line.
The next step was the triploid wheat with three sets of chromosomes and with three times so much grains in one ear. This is Emmer, Triticum dicoccum, and the so-called Emmer-line. It is supposed that this was the wheat which was spoken of in the Bible.
Most of the wheat today is Seed Wheat, Triticum aestivum, and belongs to the Dinkel-line (Dinkel = Triticum speltum). It is hexaploid (6 sets of chromosomes) and has four times the grains in one ear in comparision to the early wild form.

Regards,
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity