Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

How to remove a coin from a plastic holder?

(1/3) > >>

djmacdo:
I recently purchased a coin, though it has not arrived yet.  I dislike imprisoned coins and want to free it from a standard plastic holder.  What is the best way to do so?

Heliodromus:
I've only done it once - I used a hacksaw to cut it open, since that seemed safer than smashing it. If you don't have a hacksaw, you could just buy a replacement blade since they're rigid enough to do the job. I seem to recall reading about others squeezing the slab in a vice, but cutting seems more controlled.

Ben

dwarf:
A bench vise usually does a perfect job

Regards
Klaus

cmcdon0923:
The newer style NGC slabs are a bit more difficult.  Instead of two halves joining together on the side, the top piece of the slab rests down inside the back piece, so the old method of just tapping around the edges to break the seal no longer works.

I've found that hitting a corner to crack/shatter a piece to come off and them using a pliers to move around the edge of the slab and break off the rim seems to work.

Craig

lawrence c:
Being Paleolithic, I favor slamming it with a hammer until something gives. I agree with your hammer and pliers method.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version