Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery  (Read 21757 times)

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2022, 01:35:50 pm »
Salutations!

My last coin for the year of 2022. A wonderful Larissian bull wrestling hemidrachm. Our ever-present hero and the bull forepart facing right are featured on the obverse and our ubiquitous horse forepart galloping right are featured on the reverse. What makes this one special to me is the control mark in the form of a plant on the obverse groundline and just under the bull’s raised forelegs.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179458

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Tracy

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2022, 01:41:58 pm »
What a fantastic coin.  Congrats!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2022, 01:52:55 pm »
That coin is simply stunning. And Happy New Year back at you.
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2022, 01:57:37 pm »
Thank you Jay and Virgil.

Tracy

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2022, 03:34:31 pm »
Lovely Hemidrachm Tracy! I really like how the reverse was struck with a square die, while the obverse was struck with a round die.  It's like a cross between an archaic tetradrachm and a new style drachm all in one tiny coin :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2022, 05:09:08 pm »
Thank you Ron. I like your comment about the round and square dies. The dichotomy of the shapes didn't even cross my mind.  :-[

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2023, 05:51:02 pm »
Greetings,

My first two coins of 2023. I already have a Larissian obol with our hero wrestling a bull protome to the right on the obverse and a bridled horse’s head to the right with the legend [Λ]Α upwards on the reverse. Now I have obtained a very similar Larissian obol but with the bull protome and hero to the left and a bridled horse’s head to the right but with the legend reversed, so that it is ΑΛ upwards.

Larissa: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180111

My second coin is a hemiobol addition to my Attica, Athens gallery.

Attica: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180130

All the best,

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2023, 07:53:15 pm »
Two wonderful new additions!

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2023, 08:05:37 pm »
Thank you, Virgil. Much appreciated.

Tracy

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2023, 09:50:13 pm »
Both are great but that hemiobol is fantastic

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2023, 09:47:19 am »
Thank you, Jay. Yeah, I love my Larissian fractionals but that Attica hemiobol is indeed special.

Tracy

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2023, 12:21:45 pm »
As a lover of Greek fractions (and tiny coins and all Thessalian), this is a great pair.

I've only got two (obol from Pelinna [Gallery LINK] & Heraclea Trachinia [ACS LINK]), but Thessalian fractions are wonderful. The number of different types and sub-varieties is overwhelming, and they were portrayed with so much energy and excitement. The Thessalians obviously had so much to say and express on their coins -- it practically smacks you in the teeth (if that's how you carry yours).

Even mints that may have been more expert artistically or technically seemed to concentrate on a much narrower range of imagery (e.g., Athens owls).

Re: the charming little owl... From the Jeroen de Wilde & Herbert A. Cahn sales I managed to get a group lot of low grade tiny fractions (some incredibly tiny) from Asia Minor (CNG's [LINK] showing 15). H.A.C.'s interest in archaic coins and fractions gives your Athens Hemiobol an extra level of "cool factor."

Seems he wrote at least one article on Athens coinage (archaic tetradrachm), “Zur frühattischen Münzprägung” (1946) in Museum Helveticum [e-periodica.ch LINK]. And his articles on Themistokles (JSTOR: [LINK] and [LINK]) also touch on Athenian coinage, but mainly as a monetary standard or point of contrast.

I don't have his books yet, but I wonder what he says about Athenian fractions...
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2023, 08:12:15 am »
Good points, Curtis. In checking out your Plinna obol on your FAC gallery, I relished your insights into the BCD sale and the subsequent NAC auction of the Al Thani collection.

Tracy's latest coins are worthy additions to his collection. I lean towards the Larissa bull fraction, simply as a more obscure variety. That said, Jason's sandal strikes me as something really special.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2023, 07:56:25 pm »
Thank you, Curtis and Anaximander, for the kind comments. And Curtis, that is a great Pelinna obol.

My gateway into the coinage of Larissa was, of course, the facing head drachms and I currently have five of them (three of them from Joe’s wonder FAC!). However, even just a general perusal of Catherine Lorber’s work makes one realize that the variations for the facing heads are seemingly endless. Plus, some facing heads can be quite expensive. So I turned to the fractionals originally as a cost saving measure. Well, some of them can also be quite expensive but I “fell in love” with them nonetheless. And, of course, a perusal of both BCD catalogs and HGC 4 leaves one with a sense of the voluminous different types of Larissian fractionals. I think that Curtis summed it up best: “...and they were portrayed with so much energy and excitement.”

The amount of detail and care that went into some of these Larissian fractions just boggles my mind and sometimes leaves me a bit speechless.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2023, 07:39:47 pm »
Greetings,

I have not added a coin to my collection in about six months, but I’m pleased to finally make an addition.

I was able to obtain a wonderful Larissian bull protome and bridled horse’s head obol but unlike my other five examples of this type my latest acquisition has a dolphin control mark.

Hope that you enjoy: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=183312

All the best,

Tracy

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2023, 07:41:20 pm »
Great detail on a small coin.  Congrats!

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2023, 07:59:54 pm »
The attitude of the Thessalian engraver: How many animals can I fit on one Obol?

What a charming variant. Even without the dolphin that would be a great Larissa obol. Really nice one all around.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2023, 08:09:28 pm »
Jay and Curtis, thank you both. I agree that it is amazing what engravers were able to put on such tiny coins.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2023, 12:53:51 am »
That is truly a beautiful coin.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2023, 05:27:04 pm »
Thank you, Virgil. Much appreciated.

Tracy

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2023, 07:43:42 am »
I love the detail on the horse, great coin.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2023, 01:15:12 pm »
Thank you Ron, as always.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2024, 04:58:09 pm »
Greetings,

It’s been since late July of the past year that I’ve added a coin to my collection and posted it. I have finally added another coin (and I have one other in the works). Because I could go all over the place, I’ve tried to be very disciplined and stick to my narrow focus: Larissian fractionals. That’s one reason that I’ve purchased only two coins in the past five months. The other reason is that I’ve been “cheating” on my numismatics/coin hobby by pouring my time and money into a phaleristics hobby.

But to the coin: this is another Larissian obol with a prancing horse obverse and Larissa balancing a hydria on her left knee reverse. I already have a version of this type, but my new coin differs in two ways: (1) on the obverse the horse is prancing left and the lion’s head is facing left; (2) unlike my other coin of this type, on the new coin there is clearly something coming out of the lion’s head on the obverse. A short stream of water? A tongue?? None of the sources reference this fact.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=185749

Thanks, as always, for looking.

Tracy

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2024, 07:56:07 pm »
Great little coin

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2024, 09:55:28 pm »
looks great Tracy! I'm in the same boat - trying to stay focused on current collection lines, so acquisitions are now less frequent.  I need to photo a few I've been sitting on :)

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity