Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Do you wax ?

<< < (4/5) > >>

lawrence c:
As noted already, waxing can be quite useful in high humidity environments. I've found that if I don't wax -- I live in Western New York, and our summers can be quite humid -- my coins are much more likely to suffer from bronze disease. If used reasonably judiciously, I really can't say that I see a huge amount of difference in the look or feel of the coin.

Ron C2:

--- Quote from: Virgil H on July 14, 2021, 09:30:31 pm ---Just seeing this thread and I am happy that you can take the wax off easily. I was looking at an auction yesterday and there were a few coins I was interested in, but I am almost sure they are waxed. They look "good" on one level, but horrible on another. Not natural looking at all although detail is more evident. If those coins weren't waxed, I have never seen anything natural like it. Problem is, I have no idea what they will look like if I strip the wax, so I passed. Pretty sure they were waxed to increase eye appeal and value. If so, it backfired on me. I just don't get it. Isn't this the same as a fake patina? If not, what is the difference? I would expect that a seller should disclose the use of wax just as they should disclose a modern patina or tooling. Or am I being too critical here? Personally, I don't want any coins with wax, fake patina, tooling or being fake.

Virgil

--- End quote ---

If you like a coin and it is waxed, that would not sway me from buying it, it is easily removed - which is why museums almost universally use Ren wax.

SC:
If a good product like Ren Wax (Renaissance Wax) is applied properly you should hardly notice.  You might notice it is a bit shinier in a before and after photo but that is about it.

If you see clear signs of wax it is likely something else and may be worrying.  It could just be a poor job with a cheap wax - there are even cases of beeswax being used - or it could be signs of an entirely fake patina.

SC

Virgil H:
I think what moved me to post was seeing some coins in an auction that were on the one hand, quite beautiful, and on the other, totally unnatural looking, including the shine and reddish tint. The unnatural look put me off. If the wax helps with bronze disease and is close to transparent, I would be OK with it.
Virgil

Kevin D:
An experienced friend told me it can be very difficult to know if a coin has been waxed or not. He suggested that being familiar with the smell of Ren Wax might allow one to 'sniff out' a waxed coin. Is there any other ways to determine this? A 'wet look' to waxed coins has been noted, but I am wondering what else could be a tell.

I've not yet used any wax on coins, though I might have an example or two in my very small bronze collection and not know it.

Since the wax is reported to be easily and safely removed, it seems like potentially a good conservation tool.

Pictured below is one of my few bronze coins. It is described as having a glossy brown patina. Can these coins look this good without being waxed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version