Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS  (Read 63377 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:04:25 am »
Please use this topic to announce the publication of new numismatic, antiquity, and history books, and/or provide comments or reviews on new books.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

mharlan

Re: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:51:30 pm »
I want to announce the publication of my new book Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE-64 BCE. Some of you may know my earlier book Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 63 BC-49 BC published in 1995 which is now out of print (I am working on a revision). This new volume fills out the early years of the Sullan constitution covering thirty-four moneyers who minted between 81 and 64. I self-published this book in the U.S. and it is now beginning to be distributed through dealers. Forum Ancient Coins will be adding it to their book list soon.    240 pages with 144 enlarged illustrations $24.95    I will be quite happy to discuss any of the coins on the forum board.     Michael Harlan

Offline vk

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:09 am »
Please let us know when we can order it from Forum.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »
Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE-64 BCE is available now from Forum.  I have only just had the opportunity to open to a few random pages and read a few paragraphs.  I was facinated and impressed.  I look forward to reading the entire book. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1834&pos=0#Roman Books
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:57:28 am »
Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE-64 BCE is available now from Forum.  I have only just had the opportunity to open to a few random pages and read a few paragraphs.  I was facinated and impressed.  I look forward to reading the entire book.  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1834&pos=0#Roman Books

I've read it, cover to cover, and discussed it with others who have expertise in the era. There will be a book review by my in the forthcoming Numismatic Chronicle.  

ras

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:49:20 am »
I'll take Joe's opportunity then to note that I've begun work on the third edition of the Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins.

This new edition is a very ambitious undertaking that aims to take a far more detailed look at the coinage of the periods covered in ERIC II. Because of the complexity of the project and the shoe-string budget I expect it will be several years before the material is ready for press. If it's any indication, two months after having started I have managed to complete less than 2% of the almost 300 sections that make up the book despite putting in 16-18hr workdays. While that could be pretty discouraging my level of enthusiasm is high as the process of building the data is exciting in a nerdy sort of way.

If you would like to become involved (or just keep tabs on the project) please visit http://dirtyoldbooks.com/eric3/

Ras

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:02:09 am »
Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the newish "Coins of Rome" books by Daniele Leoni. So far the series consists of Trajan, Hadrian, Nero and Septimius Severus - detailing the significanace of their coinage with wonderful illustration throughout as well as maps and original photography. A history text with well researched numismatic focus. Basically the type of book I've always thought should have been made.

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:29 am »
where can you find the Daniele Leoni books from?

After seeing your post I looked on Forum's book store and at Amazon (UK) but no luck?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »
where can you find the Daniele Leoni books from?

After seeing your post I looked on Forum's book store and at Amazon (UK) but no luck?

They are in the bookstore on the Campidoglio. I saw it there last week (yes, really). Presumably all Romans are regular visitors to the Capitoline hill during priestly ceremonies etc. so it should be easy to pick up in passing.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »
Andrew,

Were the copies you saw in English or Italian?

I suspect these are just going to be "coffee-table" books rather than anything helpful and well grounded, but I'd like to take a look!
Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 01:58:29 pm »
Andrew,

Were the copies you saw in English or Italian?

I suspect these are just going to be "coffee-table" books rather than anything helpful and well grounded, but I'd like to take a look!

Italian. I took a cursory look at the cover of one but since the Republic was not yet covered I didn't look further.

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 02:09:28 pm »
The Nero, Trajan,and Hadrian editions are now in English. I think you would be surprised at the level of detail and amount of excellent illustrations.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 02:21:18 pm »
Maybe you could post here or e-mail me (address in my profile) a larger, readable scan of the Circus Maximus page?
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:26 pm »
Hi Curtis,

The Circus Maximus page is readable. Click on the image and click again on the one that opens up and it is clear.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 03:16:48 pm »
Mauseus, thanks for the tip.

There is nothing on that page that would make me want the book.

Just an architectural history of the Circus, which I can find in any topographical dictionary of Rome.

Very little about Trajan's coin type itself. No mention of the starting gates on the right, from which chariots are sometimes shown emerging, and that at the left we see Titus' arch which is mentioned in the text. No mention of the temple topped by facing head of Sol to l. of the obelisk or of the other monuments on the spina apart from the obelisk and the turning posts.

No mention of Trajan's surviving inscription recording his reconstruction of the Circus and addition of seating for 5000 spectators in 103 AD. No mention of Woytek's recent dating of Trajan's Circus sestertii to that same year, 103, nor his discovery of a die link between the Circus type and the type showing Trajan addressing a crowd in the Circus, proving that the Speech in Circus type was contemporaneous with the architectural type, both of which evidently commemorated Trajan's reopening of the Circus in 103.

But maybe these details are on the following pages, not reproduced here?
Curtis Clay

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
Hi Curtis,

I never said the text was an in-depth academic work but as a nice celebration of an emperor's coinage (especially one you collect) it is a welcome addition to the bookshelf. There are a ton of topics over 67 pages, inspired by coin reverses, so it can't go into intricate detail on every one. The plentiful photographs of coin types throughout make it worthwhile alone, in my opinion.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:51 pm »
Kained,

But wouldn't you, as a collector, be more interested in the kind of facts I give, allowing you to appreciate the details of the coin type and the reason for its appearance in 103 AD, rather than the general history of the building recounted by Leoni?
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »
Kained,

But wouldn't you, as a collector, be more interested in the kind of facts I give, allowing you to appreciate the details of the coin type and the reason for its appearance in 103 AD, rather than the general history of the building recounted by Leoni?

I find both equally interesting. :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 10:31:19 am »
I originally posted this review in the old Sofaer collection thread but am posting it here at the request of another member.

The ANS (American Numismatic Society) has published a new two volume set:.  

Coins of the Holy Land: The Abraham and Marian Sofaer Collection at the American Numismatic Society and the Israel Museum. (Ancient Coins in North American Collections 8, 2013) by Ya’akov Meshorer with Gabriela Bijovsky and Wolfgang Fischer-Bossert, and edited by David Hendin and Andrew Meadows.  
(ISBN-13: 978-0-89722-283-9 Hardback, 2 vols, 344+244pp)

My Initial Thoughts

I have browsed through the whole book but have only started to look at a couple of sections in depth so I only have initial impressions to share.

First of all, about the physical books themselves.  

The first volume of the two volume set covers the text, the second has the plates.  Personally I like this system as you can have both volumes open at the same time - one to the text and one to the plates.  It is far better than flipping through the same volume to consult the plates.  I also find it better than volumes that try to have the plate facing the text as these always seem to have exceptions where you still have to flip back and forth to find the right pages.

The book, printing, paper, binding and illustrations are all extremely high quality as is to be expected in modern ANS publications.  The vast majority of illustrations appear to be "life-size" though there are some small coins, especially in the Samarian section, that are shown life-size and enlarged.

The Coverage

The book details a single collection of coins from a single region.  It is the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Sofaer that is on loan, and in fact in the process of being permanently donated to, the ANS in New York.  The book covers coins of the Holy Land region although in this case that covers modern Israel, the Palestinian Territories and Jordan.  I might be mistaken but I don't think it covers a single city from what is today Lebanon or Syria.  It covers coins from the Persian period, through Seleucid and Ptolemaic occupation, Hasmonaean, Herodian and Nabataean issues, Roman Provincial, Byzantine, Arabic and Crusader.  However, it only covers coins struck in the region and thus, for example, does not cover Seleucid coins struck in Antioch or Ptolemaic coins struck in Alexandria.

The Organization.

The organization is an interesting one, and fairly unique as far as I have seen.  Most of the work is divided by city and under each city entry you find listed Persian, Greek, Roman Provincial, Byzantine, Arab and Crusader coins in chronological order.  The exceptions to this are the Judaean (Hasmonaean, Herodian and revolt) and Nabataean coins which have their own sections.

Assessment

As I noted before this is only an initial assessment.  

You have to keep in mind that the book is a corpus of one collection and not of all coinage and variations from the region.  Thus it is most like the SNG ANS 6 volume (though it goes past that volume to add Byzantine, Arabic and Crusader).  That said it is likely on of the best collections in the world from this region.  Furthermore, much of the coinage of the region has been insufficiently studied to date.

I think you have to examine some of the coinage types separately to determine the extra value of this work.

I do not know enough about the Persian era coinage to know about the coverage but at first glance I do not see any huge leap beyond SNG ANS 6 or, more importantly the recent Hoover volume on this area.  

Similarly it does not look to add a huge amount beyond the Lorber and Houghton Seleucid Coinage volumes although I expect there are several new pieces of information here.  

These days every little bit on Ptolemaic coinage is valuable although I understand that a new important work by Lorber is underway at the ANS.

While the Judaean collection is certainly impressive this work will not replace the need for the 5th edition of David Hendin's book.

It has interesting and up to date info on Nabataean coinage though I do not have the ANS' recent Caravan Kingdoms volumes to compare it with.

The Arabic coinage looks very interesting, and it is useful to have it broken down by mint.  However, I can not comment on degree of coverage knowing little about the recent literature in this area and I simply can not say anything regarding the crusader coinage which I know nothing about.

Even if the book does not represent the full picture in any of these areas it is still an excellent resource for them.  The plates and the fact the information is up to date make it very worthwhile to have.

However, it is in the remaining areas that the book really comes to the fore.

I know very little about Samarian coinage but I see no reason to doubt the comments by the authors and editors themselves who note that this work is a major leap forward in understand this extensive coinage of small silver fractions.

Finally, the real interest for me is in the Roman provincial coinage.  I think that it is here that the book really stands head and shoulder over all others.  My main sources in this area were SNG ANS 6 and Spijkerman and to a lesser extent the Lindgren trio.  True the Sofaer collection book does not present every variant and every possible legend reconstruction but it appears to exceed most other sources in number of types for each city and with the collection's concentration on coins of the highest quality it offers the best legend reconstructions anywhere.  I have looked in particular at some cities like Abila, Pella, Philadelphia/Rabbath-Ammon and Petra and been very impressed.  I have yet to look at other cities in depth.  

My well worn Spijkerman that has been my first go-to source for this coinage for many years will now get a well earned rest on the back shelf.  Still useful for legend variations and such but the Sofaer collection will be front and centre for a long time.

Overall it was worth the long wait and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in coinage of the Holy Land and especially to those interested in Roman provincial coins of the region.

It is not cheap.  The forum book store does not seem to carry it.  It can be found at the ANS bookstore site and people should be aware that there is a substantial discount for members.  In fact the discount is over 50% of the annual membership fee.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

roamin12

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 12:38:39 pm »
About Daniele Leoni's books:
I purchased a copy of the Trajan book by Daniele Leoni (in English) at the book store at the Colosseum in Rome in June 2012.  A few brief comments: It is an attractive supplement to my RIC and other coin books, and shows a number of the coins that I have.  I like the balance of many pictures and a moderate amount of text to give some context (indeed, mostly available elsewhere, so nice it is more of a snippet rather than an attempt to be comprehensive).

I would like to purchase the Hadrian book in English; please continue making suggestions of how to find other than returning to Rome!

I periodically check the e-shop ( http://www.lemonetediroma.com/e-shop.html ) listed in her book to see if the English part is active (says under construction as of 7 Aug 2013). I'm assuming that is where a order can be placed some day.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 01:13:11 pm »
Just to clarify, Daniele Leoni is a man!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 08:44:38 am »
I discovered a new book on my visit to Carnuntum last weekend.  It was sitting for sale in the gift shop though I had not heard of it or seen it anywhere else.

Living By The Coins: Roman Life in the Light of Coin Finds and Archaeology within a Residential Quarter of Carnuntum, by Cristian Găzdac and Franz Humer, Hollitzer Wissenschaftsverlag, Wien, 2013.

The book is excellent quality, harcover, large (approx 8 1/2 x 11 or A4) format, 370 pages.  It sold for about 40 Euro.

It is entirely in English, which is unusual for a book published by and about Carnuntum.  One author is Romanian, one Austrian, which I think is why English was chosen.  The English is quite good though there are a couple places where it is stilted to the point of requiring a couple of read-throughs.

Despite the name the work is in effect an excavation report. It is extremely well done and can serve as a model for certain types of excavation reports.  It covers the quarter of Carnuntum (in actuality approximately 0.5% of the site) that has been excavated and opened to the public.  This section is known as the Spaziergarten, Insula VI or the Open-Air Museum.  For those who know Carnuntum it consisted of the main grounds of the site that is open to the public - the site that today includes the 3.5 reconstructed buildings, a couple of buildings still in ruined/foundation state and several stone roads.

It begins with a 25 page section, profusely illustrated in colour, outlining the history of Carnuntum, the excavations there,  the buildings and roads covered by the work and the history of the reconstruction of the buildings.  

This is followed by 27 pages of Numismatic Comments.  This summarizes the finds and provides details on the one hoard (a small hoard of Tetrarchic nummi and argentei).  It also details the many moulds found at the site for making limesfalsa (which the authors use to mean cast bronze copies of second century large bronzes and of third century denarii and antoninani).

Other than bibliography and maps the rest of the book is dedicated to the catalogue of finds and related tables and charts.  The catalogue is not done by the entire quarter but is broken down into individual sites: North Street (181 coins); South Street (177 coins); East Street (9 coins); West Street (204 coins); Portico (21 coins); Baths (135 coins); Valetudinarium (50 coins); East Building (25 coins); Villa Urbana (503 coins); House I (217 coins plus hoard of 50 coins); House II (81 coins); House III (30 coins); House IV (183 coins); House V (63 coins); Info centre/Restaurant (24 coins); Stray finds (11 coins).  

There is a separate entry for each of these, by my count, 1864 coins.  The entry includes: date, denomination, mint, reference (usually RIC), die axis, diameter, weight, inventory #, find year and archeological context (period, level, etc).  

Mint and field marks are sometimes shown under reference, though sometimes only the RIC number is given and a look at RIC is required.  The inclusion of full RIC number and mint and field marks is something sadly lacking in many catalogues.  I was very happy to see it here in particular as I am interested in which exact issues of the Siscia issues of the SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE and GLORIA ROMANORVM types of Valentinian I and Valens appear at Carnuntum.  

The tables list number found by denomination and by Emperor/period for each site.  The graphs show similar information but also show number/reign divided by year.  At the back are 22 black and white plates illustrating around 300 coins total.

Overall the work is excellent.  However, as it is mainly a catalogue I would not recommend it to everyone.  It would be of little interest to many collectors.  Though, that said anyone who actually visits Carnuntum should pick it up as a souvenir.  For those though interested in site catalogues this is an excellent one.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 07:55:06 am »
I have just received a copy of a new book 'Collecting Medieval Coins: A Beginner's Guide' by Paul A. Torongo.

Even those of us who are not complete beginners should benefit from this book. The book is a 386 page large format paperback. It is not a catalogue of coins but there are illustrations in colour with descriptions of hundreds of coins. There are many different topics including how to decipher those strange looking letter forms found on medieval coins, contemporary imitations and modern forgeries. Some Islamic and Asian coins are covered as well as Europe.

The book is only available on Amazon at quite a reasonable price, where you can see selected pages. In fact it is self-published. See http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n37a10.html for an interesting blog about the trials and tribulations of doing this.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 05:34:00 pm »
This looks like it will be quite a tome! Packer's work on Trajan's Forum was incredibly detailed and I imagine this will be even moreso..

The Roman Forum: A Reconstruction and Architectural Guide

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Roman-Forum-Reconstruction-Architectural/dp/0521192447/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1ST1K2JW2A4IR&coliid=I2YX7HKR94E4V5

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Essays in Honour of Roberto Russo
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:44 am »
Yesterday I received a new book, Essays in Honour of Roberto Russo, that may be the most important serious publication on Roman Republican coinage since Essays Hersh was published in 1998. Roberto Russo, 1945-2012, is known to most as the proprietor of NAC; less well known was that he was also a respected numismatist, who wrote perhaps the most significant paper within the Essays Hersh volume; it has been my honour to fulfil a similar role for Essays Russo, as my own 175 page paper on Republican bronzes is a cornerstone of the new book. I'll address my own paper in a separate thread on the Roman Coins board, but this is an introduction to the book as a whole. For the moment, advance copies of Essays Russo are available direct from the publisher, NAC in Milan (details bottom of this note), but other distribution channels are being arranged.

Format: 426 pages, hardback with dustcover, very heavy paper, illustrations throughout, see pictures below.

Contents (picture of index below)

Witschonke - Preface
Arturo Russo - Biography of Roberto Russo, a sample page below (note me in the picture!)
Bibliography

Papers on Greek Numismatics:
Rutter - Early Coinages of Sicily, Cyprus and Crete
Boehringer - Maestro della foglia
Campana - Emissione Siciliana a nome di Hermas e Pan
Santelli - Contromarche di Zeus Eleutherio
Morcom - Mint Sharing in Western Sicily
Gitler - Samarian types inspired by Athens

Papers on Roman Numismatics
Vagi - Rome's first Didrachm
Burnett - a Puzzling Early Roman Coin
McCabe - Anonymous Struck Bronze Coinage of the Roman Republic
Schaefer - A Find from Campamento Ampurias
Pancotti - Attis nella monetazione romana repubblicana
Russo - The Retariffing of the Denarius (an important unpublished paper by Roberto)
Buttrey - Grammer and History, Thoughts on Republican coins
Witschonke - Unpublished Roman Republican coins
Stannard - Quartered and Countermarked Republican Asses
Woytek - Unpublished Denarius Hybrids, and the Sestertius of Considius Paetus
Amandry - L.Atratinvs Avgvr / Antonivs Imp
Kovacs - Eusebeia, Civic bronzes

Papers on Mediaeval Numismatics
Travaini - Corrado IV

I will write more on my own paper in a separate note on the Roman Coins thread. Pending arrangements for distribution (especially in the US) the book is already available direct from NAC, Milan. Price USD $150 +p&p, or equivalent in other currencies, payable by Paypal or bank transfer. To order please contact NAC Milan Tatiania Granata, tatianagranata@arsclassicacoins.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity