Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macedonian tetradrachm question.  (Read 4572 times)

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Macedonian tetradrachm question.
« on: October 23, 2001, 06:32:02 am »
Hello!
      I have the honour of asking the first question on these boards.  :)
Can someone tell me if the AP monogram on Macedonian tetradrachms is the Amphipolis mintmark? And if it isnt, how can I tell where my Macedonian tetradrachm was minted?
              Thanks very much, LordBest 8)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Macedonian tetradrachm question.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2001, 08:44:38 am »
The AP probably is not a mintmark as such.  Remember to tha a P in Greek is and R.  So, it wouldn't stand for Amphipolis.  Looking in Price, AP was used on Alexander tets (Is it an Alexander?) from Chios (left field) and Susa (under throne).   In monogram form it was used at Pella, Greece, Callatis, Mesembria, Byblos, Marathus, Carrhae, Amphipolis, Peloponnese, Miletus, Aradus and at uncertain mints.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2001, 08:51:41 am »
My Macedonian tetradrachm is one of the ones minted under Roman rule, with Artemis and the club of Herakles on the reverse. It is identical to one I have seen, all the same symbols no more no less, and the dealer offering that one (HJB) say it is from Amphipolis. That kind of aroused my curiosity about mine :)
       Thank you, LordBest 8)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2001, 09:06:42 am »
FORVM has the type in our catalog under Macedonia.  At the time the coin was minted (158-149 B.C.), Macedonia was divided into four regions under Roman rule.  The senate conceded them the right to coin silver in 158 B.C.  The capitals of the four regions were Amphipolis, Thessalonica, Pela and Pelagonia.  These regions were dissolved in 148 B.C. and Macedonia was made a Roman Province.  None of the references held by FORVM identify the mint city based on the monograms.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 01:33:08 am »
Hi,
  I emailed HJB about Macedonian tetradrachms, adn recieved this reply:
 "Hi-- You may know that after the Roman conquest of Macedonia, the country was not immediately converted into a province. Rather, the Romans divided it into four "autonomous" districts. The Greek legend translates roughly as "First District of the Macedonians." Amphipolis was the main city of the First District, with a long history as a mint under the Macedonian kings, and thus is the only real candidate for the mint where these coins were produced."

So the truth is in the legends, not the monogram.:)
                  LordBest.  8)

Offline Alex

• Augustus
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2001, 09:13:38 am »
well, around here these coins are called "first macedonia" and in no other way....  ;D

Offline vercingetorix

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2001, 03:26:40 am »
The amphipolis mintmark is usually a bull's head with horns.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity