Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Not Ancient but Pre-Columbian  (Read 2800 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Not Ancient but Pre-Columbian
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »
My father-in-law was raised in Panama in a military family.  He still goes there all the time, and has this pre-columbian amulet.

From my understanding, it would have been worn as jewelery.  He also has some pottery, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some more light on this piece. 

I really haven't been able to find much information.  It most likely is due to my total lack of knowledge in this area.

Thanks!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Not Ancient but Pre-Columbian
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:39:34 am »
Forgot to add that the only thing that I can think it to be is a Shamanistic / Demonistic pendant where shaman or demonic pre-columbian gold designs depicted a shaman dressed in mask or costume or a demonistic figure.  Or it is just depicting a man.  I think that the shamanistic stuf usually has grotesque depictions for facial features.

Not sure if anyone else can get me farther than this.

dltcoins

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:13 pm »

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:49:30 pm »
Hey thanks!  I will have to read this.  I appreciate the help.  I hope this does answer my questions.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity