Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arabia Felix AE15?  (Read 1428 times)

kerux

Arabia Felix AE15?
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:40:35 am »
I didn't get a response to this in the identification area, so I thought I'd try the collectors in the area of "holyland" coins. My coin is a prutah sized (AE15) coin that I believe is a south Arabian imitation (1st pic).

It is similar to the Arabian imitations of the Athenian Tetradrachms - see 2nd pic (cf. SNG ANS Pt. 6, 1453-1454). This coin however is smaller and lighter.

AE15
Obv: Degraded helmeted head of Athena?
Rev: Owl standing, head facing, A :Greek_Theta:E to left?

Any thoughts on what this might be? Could it be SNG ANS 1454 on a smallish flan?

Joe W.

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re: Arabia Felix AE15?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:52:03 am »
Hi
I wont give you an exact ID because I dont have referance for this, but I saw such a coin befor came from Yemen, and I am kind of sure that it is south Arabian imitation .
I had one befor I bought with Nabatean lot from Petra, and the only ID  will be around that area.
all the best
Salem

kerux

Re: Arabia Felix AE15?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 04:55:45 pm »
Hi
I wont give you an exact ID because I dont have referance for this, but I saw such a coin befor came from Yemen, and I am kind of sure that it is south Arabian imitation .
I had one befor I bought with Nabatean lot from Petra, and the only ID  will be around that area.
all the best
Salem

Thanks for the response, Salem. Now if I can just find someone with the right reference...!

Joe W.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity