Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Little Obol  (Read 2889 times)

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Little Obol
« on: February 21, 2006, 12:13:24 am »
Hi

I bought this recently and wondered if anyone can shed some light on it?

Thanks
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Little Obol
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:05:18 am »
Hi Alex,

It's Samarian, 4th century BC.  I can't find my book on those coins right now, but when I do I think I can give you a better identification.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:31:38 am »
Thanks Howard - it wasnt cheap but I have my own ideas about it.

Looking for other ones I guess.

Particularly interested in the 'cloak' that Bes wears - in my eye it is a lionskin from the two hind-legs hanging down by his own legs, to the tail inbetween and the 'claws' on the sholuders. PLUS the head, though a traditional image of Bes, looks like it has a lionskin head over it hence mane (on top and lower sides), ears, eyes etc.

Makes we wonder if Bes was a dwarf hercules? :)

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:52:38 am »
Hi Alex,

So what do you think it is?

Looking in The Coinage of Samaria in the Fourth Century BCE, I found the inscription.  It is BDYHBL (dot below the H).  Meshorer and Qedar say it is a name of a god.  Here is what they say about the name.

This name appears on three different coins - Nos. 35, 36, 37. So far, we have been unable to find an identical name, but the structure of the name is clear; is composed of BD and YHBL which can be divided into YH and BL.

Almost all Phoenician gods appear in ancient inscriptions with the prefix BD which has been explained as , 'by the hand', such as: BD'SMN, BD'STRT, BDMLQRT.  YHBL shoud perhaps be read as Yebibel - 'let Bel grant life', similar to names such as - YHY'L (1 Chron. 23:8  ) - YHYH (1 Chron. 15:24) and YHWMLK.
  Note: I left out the Hebrew characters that are in the text of the book.

I didn't find the exact coin in my reference book, but that is not unusal for Samarian coins.  It seems that new types are turning up each day.  I am also waiting for my other reference on Samarian coins to arrive.  But, I don't expect it to be in there.

As to what you paid for it, I have a fairly good idea.  These little coins in the condition that yours is in do not come cheap.

By the way,  just bought my first Athenian tetradachm.  I have been wanting one for a long time, but seemed to be busy buying other coins or didn't have enough money.

Howard

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:00:34 am »
Thanks Howard.

I am given to believe it reads Sanballat though I would guess 'SNBLLT'.

I too am awaiting the Samarian book through seller has not yet contacted me as regards Paypal!

Well done with the Athenian - I have a few but they are from Egypt/Babylon etc not from Athens which is outside my scope. In the market for a Gaza or other Eastern if within (Alexander contemporary etcetc).

Brgds

Alex

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
The coin you purchased is listed in Samarian Coinage, by Meshorer and Qedar.  It is coin #16.  SC lists this coin as an obol, with their sample weighing 0.63gm.  It is very common in this series to have hemi-obols that have similar designs as well, with just one or two subtle differences distinguishing similar fractional coinage.  The weights on these coins are quite variable, with little quality control.
SC lists your coin as follows:
Obv: Bearded and partly naked male figure of Bes-like deity to front, half crouching, hands reseting on thighs, with lion skin cape fastened over shoulders, tail and paw appearing behind between figure's legs; on l. downwards inscription:  BDYHBL
Rev: Persia King walking r., three arrows can be seen over the king's shoulder.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 07:18:21 pm »
Thanks.

Got the lionskin bit right then. About the letters - thats interesting, under impression refers to Sanballat.

Does the book give any historical context?

Alex

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:25:26 pm »
One fun thing is that a sample of your coin is on the cover of Samarian Coinage.  Your sample definitely rivals that of the cover coin, you should feel proud of your coin. 
SC discusses the inscription on your coin, according to the authors they feel it is a personal name inscribed on the coin.  BD possibly referring to "by the hand", and YHBL could mean Yehibel,"let Bel grant life"

Hope that adds to your knowledge base of the coin. 
Once again a very fine coin

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 10:07:00 am »
Many Thanks - I await my copy of the book.

Alex

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:19:16 pm »
Looking through an old Antiqua Catalogue I found a copy of your coin, fixed price went for $950.  This is from Ancient Art and Numismatics Catalogue #XII

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 11:13:19 pm »
Thanks - how long ago and comparable quality?

Brgds

Alex

Edit - January 2004 partly answered my own question - Thanks!

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 11:25:59 pm »
They comare nicely, I would say the Antiqua sample is slightly more sharply struck, but your coin has the full legend on the flan.  To me that it is one of the really important qualities of samarian coins, is the legend fully on the flan and is it legible.  That is an intangible that I believe allows one to get a higher premium for a coin of this type.  This catalogue is from 3 years ago.  Hope that helps.
Ronn

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 01:11:08 am »
Ronn

It does and thanks  ;)

Brgds

Alex

All coins are guaranteed for eternity