Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very interesting type  (Read 1469 times)

a

Very interesting type
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:46:21 pm »
Hi all,

At the first view this coin is looks like unlisted type:
on one side hebrew inscription:
Yenatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews
on the other side anchor within circle with greek inscription:
BASILEWS ALEXANDROU.

But after detailed study, you can see the remains of lily under hebrew inscription.

So, I suppose that it is Hyrcanus II pruta overstrucked on Yanneus anchor and star coin.

What you think about this?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
Re: Very interesting type
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:37:36 pm »
I agree with explorer.  It seems that there is a slight sign of the lily underneath the writing.  However, I could be wrong...

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
Re: Very interesting type
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:54:36 pm »
If you look at the 7 o'clock position on the anchor side, it looks like there is an undertype of an old anchor from the original coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity