Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Melqarth  (Read 8570 times)

dolcinus

Melqarth
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:26:45 pm »
Hi to all,
I'm not an expert but I wish to know why on the ancient time in the Temple of Jerusalem was accepted a coin with the bust of Melqarth, and not for example the face of the Roman Emperor.
For an ortodox Jew are both sacrilege images, or not?
Thank you a lot

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
Re: Melqarth
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 11:07:59 pm »
The short answer is that the Shekel of Tyre was the only one that came close enough to pure silver to be accepted at the Temple.  Roman coins at their best were still too debased to be acceptable at the Temple, so they were forced to use the Shekel of Tyre exclusively, as it was the only way of guaranteeing that they were getting the correct amount of silver.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 05:20:12 am »
When two commandments conflicted, one was considered to overrride the other. For instance, the Rabbis, the first Christians (obviously Jews) and almost certainly the Pharisees agreed that the comandments to do good and to save life override the Sabbath, so if someone is in danger or seriously ill, itbecomes a meritorious act to help them on the Sabbath, even if that involves working. The author of the 'Damascus Covenant', on the other hand, took the opposite view; if a man falls into a well or a fire on the Sabbath, you must not use a rope or a ladder or another utensil to pull them out. During the Roman period, the requirement to have the Temple tax paid in pure silver was clearly considered to override the ban on images, but the situation seems to have been reversed at the beginning of the First Revolt, given that the new government promptly started minting its own kosher shekels, without images.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

dolcinus

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 06:50:10 pm »
Thank you Zam, thank you Robert for both answer, now I start to undertand something!!!
I like to see one of these kosher shekel, from the first revolt I seen everything but prutot.
How many time can has been used this kosher shekel?
I dont't think a lot because few year later of the first revolt the Temple has been destroy. 
Thank you and sorry for my awfull english  ;D ;D

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 07:48:21 pm »
The shekels of the First revolt are very nice, and yes, they were only used for a few years, during the war years.  They have a chalice on one side and 3 pomegranites on the other. 

dolcinus

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 03:53:28 am »
Wow!!
It's really a beautifull coin!!

Thank you

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:31:08 am »
Not only was the Shekel of Israel only used for a few years, but since the pure shekel was probably used only for the Temple tax, and not for trade, it was probably minted in Jerusalem and rarely left the city. So the vast majority were presumably melted down by the Romans. The prutot were minted for ordinary use, and would have circulated wherever the rebels held territory, so they would have been impossible for the Romans to sweep up effectively.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 07:59:59 pm »
They are up there as my favorite coins.  They have such strong historical significance.  Unfortunately, these run up into the thousands of dollars.  If I were rich, I would buy this coin and one of Constantine XI (last emperor of the Byzantine Empire 1448-1453).  There are only about 100 known, and go for about $15,000. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity