Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius I Bronze Follis evaluation  (Read 822 times)

jcm-houston

Constantius I Bronze Follis evaluation
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:37:16 pm »
So help a newbie on ancients out. I decided to buy this piece, even though I am not collecting the period, because it seems to offer a good link between the Roman Republic pieces I have just started collecting and my main collecting area of Great Britain. Besides re-taking the province of Britain he was also father of Constantine the great, so it fits into my idea of historical coinage.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-110057

The sellers (whom I have bought some British from and have developed a great deal of trust in) description:

Constantius I as Caesar (A.D. 293 - 305), Bronze Follis, 9.41g., 27mm, London mint, c. A.D. 300 onward, Group I, Class II(a), laureate cuirassed bust right, FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C, rev., Genius standing left modius on head, holding cornucopiae with chlamys over left shoulder, patera in right from which liquor flows, exergue blank, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, (RIC VI, 14a), almost extremely fine, dark black patina, rare.

So give me your thoughts: Is it a good example? Tough to find? Should I have waited? What areas should I examine most closely when looking at these?

For example it's a little off center, to me it doesn't seem terrible for the period, but I'd like to know how others would evaluate it. I'll be keeping it regardless but this is your chance to educate someone.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Re: Constantius I Bronze Follis evaluation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:52:34 pm »
It's a nice example with good clear legends I would be happy with it,ancient coins are rarely perfect if you want to get a better idea look at what's for sale here on Forum in Joe's shop as he always has new coins coming in.

I think it's a nice example is it perfect no,could you find better probably yes I would have it my collection
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:43:17 am »
It is a nice piece.  the cuirased bust is less common than the draped, though not unusual for Constantius I.   You could upgrade one day to one where Genius' head is not worn but it is still a good example.

It is also a nice choice for a British link.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
A very nice example; complete legends, nice style for London with detail of hair, laurel wreath on obverse and sharp drapery/cornucopia with the muscle torso of Genius on reverse.  Would be hard to find a better coin of that Emperor for that series. Nice find.

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:12 am »
 You could upgrade one day to one where Genius' head is not worn but it is still a good example.

Nice looking, gently circulated London follis; a very nice representative for the type.  I would note that the head and legend at the top of the reverse isn't really worn, but just wasn't fully struck.  Not at all untypical for coins where the larger bust took most of the metal during the strike leaving a bit of "flatness" on the opposite side.  Your coin is at least equal to the better of my mine and I wouldn't worry about an upgrade.

Congrats.
 ;D 

jcm-houston

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:24:54 am »
Thanks guys, I really am using these comments to help refine my evaluation process for ancients. I'm pretty secure in how I evaluate the modern stuff (17th-19th C.) but learning about evaluating strike and centering on ancients is still something I want to improve on.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Thanks guys, I really am using these comments to help refine my evaluation process for ancients. I'm pretty secure in how I evaluate the modern stuff (17th-19th C.) but learning about evaluating strike and centering on ancients is still something I want to improve on.

It's all about eye appeal, in my opinion.  The one you linked to certainly has it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity