Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nikopolis, Caracalla, tooled?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Nikopolis, Caracalla, tooled?
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:35:09 pm »
Hi!

Revisiting my coins I came across this one:

Moesia inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Caracalla, AD 198-217
AE 26, 9.62g, 25.72mm, 225°
struck under governor Aurelius Gallus
obv. AV K M AVR - ANTWNINOC
       Bust, draped and cuirassed, seen from behind, laureate, r.
rev. VP AV GALLOV - NIKOPOLITWN / PROC ICT
      Zeus, in Himation, enthroned l., resting with raised l. hand on sceptre and putting his r. hand
      on his r. knee
ref. a) not in AMNG
      b) not in Varbanov (engl.)
      c) not in Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2013):
          rev. not listed
          obv. No. 8.18.1.22 (same die)

I think whereas the obv. is authentic the rev. is heavily tooled. It is difficult to say wether it shows Zeus or Serapis. The gap between GALLOV and NIKOPOLITWN has enough space for a former kalathos of Serapis and l. before the leg are faint structures which remind of Kerberos.

What do you think about this coin?

Every opinion highly appreciated!

Jochen

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Nikopolis, Caracalla, tooled?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:58:38 pm »
The emperor's hair on the obverse also appears tooled.....to my old eyes. How can the strands of hair be so distinct, while the chest is indistinct?
PeteB

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
I think it is a horror coin!

Jochen

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:55:07 pm »
Hi Jochen,

I agree with Akropolis. The hair on the obverse is definitely tooled. And his eye is up on the bridge of his nose.  It is not even in the eye socket.

Actually, the obverse looks more tooled than the reverse. But I see what you mean about the gap in the reverse inscription.

If someone was going to tool the reverse inscription, why didn't he just re-trace the original inscription to make it stand out more? Why did he try to create a whole new inscription? You can clearly see that something (letters?) was once in the gap. That's strange. It is as if the tooler was trying to create a completely different coin type.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity