Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Did not intend to buy a slabbed Marc Antony Legion XI from local coin show  (Read 1249 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Went to a local coin show the other day. My intent was to look at some Flavians, in particular Vespasian.  What I ended up with was something I didn't have any intentions of searching for.  Then again, every coin I have bought at a coin show has been on a random whim as I walk by. Nothing I am looking for ever gets bought. :)

Am I the only one that ends up with something not even in my radar at every coin show?  The. I have no $ to buy want I was looking for!

Either way, I picked up this nice Leg XI with a beautiful patina and bankers marks.

I find it to be severely under graded, especially when compared to other slabbed examples.  Then again, that's why I find grading pointless on ancient coins and also why modern coins really don't catch my attention.

Right now the coin still sits in the tomb.  I haven't decided if the coin has found a permanent home yet. I think it has but haven't had a lot of time to consider it.

I know what everyone here will say should be done to this slab. :)

In the meantime, here are some real quick pics from my iPhone. I will try to get better ones later.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Yes, this grading is really pointless, you have to see the coin, or at least good pictures. A coin graded F can have a tremendous eye appeal, or none at all. Here's a Fine, if that much, coin of mine that is an absolute gem in hand.

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Nice Legionary coin surprised at the grade also as looks better than F to me.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Nice Legionary coin surprised at the grade also as looks better than F to me.

One on acsesrch that rated a 2 on strike and 3 on surface was graded XF. It was also very off center on rev and you could only see the very top of the XI. It graded VF.

Makes me laugh looking at these grades.  I guess it should probably be freed of this demeaning prison.

I agree that coin appeal says a lot as well. I think this one has plenty of it, and the dark patina just adds to it.

Still haven't made out one of the symbols of the bankers mark.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Nice find.  If it doesn't have a permanent home I know a shelter it can stay at for a very long time! :) PM me.

I almost never buy what I'm looking for, but something always catches my eye! 

Slabbed grading is pointless.  Look at the "fouree" denariius of Vespasian I just bought.  It's not a fouree and a very nice example!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
It's a nice coin. I really couldn't say that it is better than Fine - it's a nice clear Fine to me, probably at the better end of Fine. It's not VF, nor is it near VF. But that doesn't matter. The point is that a nice clear problem-free Fine is actually a pretty rare thing with Legionaries, which are types struck in very low relief, and usually offstruck, and circulated for hundreds of years (many examples circulated for 250 years). So, it looks Fine to me, but a very desirable Fine. Anyway halfway decent price was worth paying for such a coin. Crack it open!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
It's a nice coin. I really couldn't say that it is better than Fine - it's a nice clear Fine to me, probably at the better end of Fine. It's not VF, nor is it near VF. But that doesn't matter. The point is that a nice clear problem-free Fine is actually a pretty rare thing with Legionaries, which are types struck in very low relief, and usually offstruck, and circulated for hundreds of years (many examples circulated for 250 years). So, it looks Fine to me, but a very desirable Fine. Anyway halfway decent price was worth paying for such a coin. Crack it open!

Andrew, I think you make a sound point as usual.  I always enjoy when you leave your mark on a conversation.  I guess when you add up all the points of the coin and the norm for these (extremely worn, off center, etc) and then the very nice patina IMO, I see it as better than F.  I like your term very desirable F. I think that captures my feelings of it.  If you objectively look at it as a peice of metal with some markings on it, then I guess F can make sense.

I almost never buy what I'm looking for, but something always catches my eye!

That's me every coin show. I was browsing non-ancient dealers. Saw this coin with a few other slabbed bronzes. Asked how much, he gave a price, I countered, he nicely said no, he gave me another price, I scratched my head, tried one last offer, and he shook my hand. Both happy. Love it!

Slabbed grading is pointless.  Look at the "fouree" denariius of Vespasian I just bought.  It's not a fouree and a very nice example!

We won't talk about that one. ;) I saw it, didn't look closely, and realized my folly when it was sold. Then you posted it. :) I'm actually glad you got it, as I love to see others get great deals. I find you and I are usually looking at the same coins, and it all comes down to who clicks first.

And yes, another strike against ancient coin grading. Albeit, this one to your great advantage.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
On a side note, I didn't realize the pictures were as blurry as they are, until took a look on a 23 inch monitor.  Those pictures do not do the coin justice.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
That's a really nice coin, I love the dark toning! You are not alone on the coin show issue, one of my favorite things to do at a coin show is to clear my head and just walk around to see what tickles my fancy. Sometimes you surprise yourself and buy something you didn't even have on your radar. I've gotten a few nice denarii this way, and some later Romans. It's fun to step outside of your primary focus at a coin show!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
I had some time today and was looking around the Internet. Here is a nice little video on YouTube about NGC. I thought it interesting for a light promo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePvVrv0sIeE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DePvVrv0sIeE

I also looked this coin up. Here are the NGC pictures. I know neither these or my shots are the greatest, but it really looks like they display a very different looking coin. From their pics and what I see in hand, the patina has changed quite a bit since these were taken. It could just be the pictures but it seems like it. I would say the change is in a favorable direction.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Well, to me, that looks like two Afro-Americans boxing in a tunnel. ;)

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity