Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unknown bronze coin with overstrike  (Read 492 times)

serezhka2000

unknown bronze coin with overstrike
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:17:33 am »
Please, help me identify the bronze coin.
Absolutely have no clue what can be the host (Byzantine?!) and what is the overstrike!
4,6 grams; 21-23 mm
Thanks a lot for the help.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: unknown bronze coin with overstrike
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »
You need to rotate the top image 90 degrees to the left, so that the word NEO.. is on the right.
Then you can see a large m on a horizontal bar in the upper half and part of the SCI mintmark below in the lower half.
Now, on the second image, we can see I CONST at top left which is part of the obverse legend INPERI CONST.
So it is a scarce coin of Heraclonas, and his coins were usually poorly overstruck, but yours can be IDd with some precision:

Heraclonas, AE follis, Sicily mint. 641 AD.
Obv: INPERI CONST, crowned bust facing, no beard, wearing chlamys, cross on crown, holding cross on globe.
Rev: large m (lower case) on a bar.

Down left field: ANA A or ANA Gamma or ANA epsilon or ANA cross
Down right field: NEOS
Mintmark: SCI
Ref: DOC II 9b to 9e; Schindler 1960; Wroth 345.

A version of the ANA cross type is here:
www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/heraclonas/DOC_II_9d.jpg
For the text, replace .jpg with .txt

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:07 pm »
Very interesting coin!  On the right-hand side of the upper image I think I see the letters ENT, perhaps the first part of EN TOTO NIKA?  Is the undertype S.1000, the first follis of Constans II struck at Constantinople in September 641 or later?  Then overstruck by Heraclonas in Sicily in October 641??

Jim

serezhka2000

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:39:20 am »
Thank You very much for explanations! I am very glad to have such a rare coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity