Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SPES REIPVBL - a rare reverse from London  (Read 884 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
SPES REIPVBL - a rare reverse from London
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:30:37 am »
A rare reverse from London that I have just acquired and illustrated on my blog. This example is RIC VI London 241 with the obverse legend CONSTANTINVS PF AVG

Unlisted in RIC, but known from a number of examples, is the same type with the obverse legend CONSTANTINVS P AVG. Looking through the FORVM galleries I came across a example of this unlisted variant and I include it again here.

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: SPES REIPVBL - a rare reverse from London
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:39 am »
Two examples of SPES REIPVBL were discovered in the Sarzeau hoard. One of each obverse legend type, they are linked by a reverse die match and are illustrated in the hoard report. Interestingly they are also both a reverse die match to gb29400’s specimen and the variant also appears to be an obverse die match.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:17:22 am »
Nice aquisition, Lee!

Ben

Offline Paul DiMarzio

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:47:28 am »
Here are two from my collection.  The second one I've sent to Barry Murphy for a future VAuction so if you've been looking for an example of this type keep an eye out!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 02:59:45 am »
Hi Lee,

You kept quiet over that one! Looking forward to seeing that; good coin, well done.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity