Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolomeo IX coin?  (Read 544 times)

cerge

Ptolomeo IX coin?
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:36:53 pm »
Please, if some guy to know, im not good on greek coins but i received some coins and i would like to create the paper for each one. This one can to be a Ptolomeo IX coin? (seems Zeus/Eagle)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Ptolomeo IX coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:20:49 pm »
Yet another coin posted here for identification with no size or weight information?

Please help us help you by providing the basic information on the coin.  It is one of 6 possible types, and they all look the same - the diameter and weight are critical to helping you.  You can also see this exact type on www.ptolemybronze.com in the PtolemAE Collection area.

PtolemAE

cerge

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:33:58 pm »
OK, my friend,    I forgot that but please, dont angry with me.I didn't think was as critical and as I said,I don't know not much about Greek coins

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:05:13 pm »
Just amused how often people want help to identify their coins but don't provide even the simplest information about them.  It happens here all the time so I am not surprised.  I'll help you with precise reference if you tell the size and weight

PtolemAE

cerge

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:17:18 pm »
Sorry , i didnt know it. This coin has 21 mm. Thanks again

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:21:15 am »
Thanks.  This type exists in at least 6 sizes that all look the same.  If this is ~20mm/6gm then it is Svoronos 709.  One of the most commonly available Ptolemaic coins from one of the Syro-Phoenician provincial mints (Tyre).  Formerly attributed to Ptolemy II but modern scholarship indicates more likely Ptolemy III.  I don't think anyone would attribute this to Ptolemy XI.

The obverse is the typical Ptolemaic Zeus Ammon.  The Ptolemaic eagle on the reverse is also typical and the club at the left is what indicates Tyre.  Other symbols can indicate other mints.

These come in 40mm/70gm, 35mm/35gm, 30mm/24gm, ... down to 16mm/3gm (generic size/weight - usually not exact).  The cataloging starts with the largest as Svoronos 705 and goes up to 711.  Yours is probably 709 (the 5th size).  Since they all look exactly the same a photo alone is no use in telling which is which.  You can see photos of all of them at www.ptolemybronze.com.  The smaller sizes are extremely common, the largest size is extremely rare.

Nice coin to start your collection of Ptolemaic bronzes.

Sometimes a photo can identify a coin but is always a good idea to tell the basic information about a coin when asking for help to identify it.  I never understand why folks don't include size/weight with the photo - it's easier to measure the coin than to photograph it :)  In this case it could be narrowed down to one of 7 types from the photo but not the exact type.  Once you give the size and weight - then it's a well-known common type and easy to give you the best possible information.

PtolemAE

cerge

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:32:40 am »
Thanks again, that information is great!. Yes, I know maybe is hard with my small information but really I don't have a coins balance right now but i promise I will try to buy one on the near future.thanks again!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity