Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ringlight for coin photos  (Read 5555 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
ringlight for coin photos
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:14:27 am »
While I have several pages on my website relating to coin photography, I recently started using a new light that I have found worth the $24 it cost at Staples office supply store.  It is a fluorescent ringlight with a clip on the end of a gooseneck arm.  Since each of us will have different camera supports (mine is an old enlarger frame), exactly where you clip it will differ.  Out of the box, the light has a central magnifying glass that requires removal of some small screws to set free.  The idea here is to shoot down through the hole in the center and have light from all sides. 

I have long advocated placing coins on an upright dowel stick to hold them above an out of focus background.  Recently I started placing this dowel prop down in my old refrigerator tray which bounces light around a bit and helps illuminate the edges of the coin providing separation from the black background with dark and thick coins.  The ringlight is not compatible with a piece of glass supporting the coins over the background due to reflections.  There will still be a need to make minor adjustments to get the best image of every coin but this light is just one more tool available to those interested in coin photography and at $24 is the cheapest way into the ringlight game.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: ringlight for coin photos
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:36:09 am »
Doug - That's very interesting.  I have thought about using a ring flash, but suspected the result would look too flat; but you are getting some decent modeling with your economy version.  Is there another light source, or a reflector?  I can see something bright just below the ring.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:52:36 am »
I have thought about using a ring flash, but suspected the result would look too flat; but you are getting some decent modeling with your economy version.

I came across this ring flash a while back (havn't tried it) that has the option of only having the left or right half of the LEDs on to provide some modelling (although I would imagine it can only be minimal given that it's still directly above the subject).

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/sri-lru255.html

The same manufacture also has other models including this more flexible one:

http://www.srelectronics.com/fr6400.html

Ben

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:17:56 pm »
At $24, I think I'll try Doug's.  Does anyone know who carries it?  I asked about LED lighting at Office Depot just yesterday.  They'd never heard of it.
Pat L.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
two or three points
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:41:16 am »
My light is a fluorescent, not LED.  The ring is a continuous round tube rather than a series of small spots of light.  I also own a Sigma EM-140 DG 'ringflash' but it is nowhere as good for coins because it actually is two small (independently controllable) flashes behind a way too weak diffuser.  The effect is a light from the right and left rather than from all around.  This works fine for bugs and lizards but is not the same for coins. 

The light I suggested is 1/10th the price of the 'competition'.  It is sold locally and on-line by Staples Office Supplies stores (a chain).  Before use for coins it is necessary to remove (small screws) the diffuser ring and the small clips that hold the magnifying glass in place.  As it comes from the store, it might be good to use to examine coins but don't shoot pictures through the large and low quality magnifying glass.  I never meant to suggest that this light is the best answer for coin photography but simply that, at $24, it is a very good option.  Its color balance may require you to use either RAW or Manual White Balance capabilities of your camera since it will not be a perfect match for any of the preset white balance settings of most cameras.  This means nothing if you are shooting black and white. 

Ringlights are not the best for all coin photo situations.  They work well for coins with high relief, sharp contrasts or legends.  Some coins may benefit from the addition of another light for  highlights or a reflector but none is shown in my photo.  The easiest way is to position pieces of aluminum foil as desired.  The thing Bill saw in the photo is a large plastic knob that once served to allow easy assembly of the enlarger which provided the parts for my copystand. 

The example below uses foil to put a but more light on the face.  This high relief coin has not been easy to photograph for me.  The smaller photo is the same coin from one of my web pages and earlier techniques.  Different, yes; better?

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:20:43 am »
The newer photo certainly looks more pleasing to the eye, and the lighting has eliminated the one-sided effect that I find hard to deal with on coins with high relief.  The coin looks smoother, too.  The smaller photo has what look like scratches in the positions I have highlighted in pink.  Are they real, or an artifact that only appears on the first photo?  If they are real, then perhaps they showed up at first only because of lighting from the side; which suggests that some side lighting would improve the accuracy of the newer photo.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »
Your new photo of Philetairos will be my ideal to aim for in photographing Greek silver.  It is REALLY high relief, not just a fat coin, like a turtle.  I'll try to find one of your fluorescent rings, but first I still am only halfway up the learning curve for a D80 with a Macro lens on it!  It takes an electronic cable release, and I certainly am going to order one of those (since it is not locally available)
That Philetairos photo tells me more about the engraver's work than any other I've seen.
Pat L.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:37 pm »
I believe the 'scratches' are artifacts of excessive JPG compression.  Many of my images date back to when I had dial up internet access and tried very hard to keep file sizes down.  I would like to upgrade some of them but I no longer have access to modify my pages.  I lost the password in a hard drive crash and efforts to contact Bill Puetz for a new one have gone unanswered.  A lot has changed in the ten years since I started my web pages.  Broadband, eBay and hundreds of decent sites on coins have made my old pages a bit embarassing but worst of all to my eyes are some of those old photos. 

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:18:14 am »
Those old photos serve their purpose perfectly well, and your pages made great lunchtime reading when I was at work.  But thanks for this interesting new idea. You are getting excellent results, and I will be trying it out if I can get my hands on something similar.

I was lucky in that when I ran out of space in the 20mb my ISP provides, Joe agreed to host my site - which I tweak and add to most days.  I am currently improving some of the worst photos, so I understand the urge! 

Bill

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 05:00:58 pm »
Just picked up one of these lights at my local Staples.....hopefully I can find a few hours to play this weekend......

I'm going to try it with the frosted glass type background setup.  I used to use the "coin on a stick" method, but I like the way the background removal works with the glass better...i.e., smoother edges.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »
Just picked up one of these lights at my local Staples.....hopefully I can find a few hours to play this weekend......

I'm going to try it with the frosted glass type background setup.  I used to use the "coin on a stick" method, but I like the way the background removal works with the glass better...i.e., smoother edges.

Let me know how it works.  I had a lot of trouble with ringlight glare from the glass.   

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:05:08 pm »
You mentioned that you removed the difuser around the lamp.....my first thought is to NOT remove it, but compensate in aperture/exposure for any loss in brightness.....but I almost have to assume you tried that too, right ???

All coins are guaranteed for eternity