Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

The Changing Face of Maximinus.

(1/3) > >>

Jerome Holderman:
Well, I had been looking for a Maximinus Victory Dearius I could afford for a while. Then Harry posted his lovely specimin last week and I went looking some more. And guess what ;D ;D ;D

Jerome Holderman:
I love the progression of the portraits

curtislclay:
       Those are a textbook "1st, 2nd, and 3rd portraits" of Max Thrax.
        Also all same officina.  When GERM was added to obv., the VICTORIA AVG rev. type was replaced by VICTORIA GERM.  
        There are some rare coins with obv. GERM, rev. the old VICTORIA AVG type, but these I regard as mules, produced from old rev. dies which simply were not retired from use when the new VICTORIA GERM type was introduced.
        That reminds me that you still need two denarii to complete your set for this officina!
         First, obv. without GERM, like your first two coins, but hook-nosed and hook-chinned third portrait, as on your last coin.  Second, the mule just mentioned.
        After that, you can go on to similar sets for other officinae, i.e. with other rev. types, or the same set on sestertii, dupondii, or asses!
         No use dreaming of aurei of this reign, unless you win the lottery, for they are excessively rare!

Jerome Holderman:
Thanks Curtis!!

The additional information you provide is fantastic! I will have to watch out for those othe two you mention.

If you don't mind my asking... How can you tell these are from the same officina? ???

curtislclay:
         When officina mumbers first appeared on the coins, on Philip I's last two issues of antoniniani, there was one and only one number for each rev. type, e.g. officina no. I appeared only on coins with lion walking l. or r., II only on coins of she-wolf suckling twins l. or r., and so on.
          From this fact it has often been assumed that in the earlier unmarked coinage, each officina struck only one rev. type, so if five rev. types were being struck simultaneously, that should mean five officinae.
          Your first two coins have the same rev. type, and your third has the type that replaced that earlier type when GERM was introduced on the obv.  
         On the common assumption, then, your three coins are all from the same officina.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version