Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Phoenicia Arados - Bronze  (Read 59489 times)

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Phoenicia Arados - Bronze
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 08:45:43 am »
Series AR-ZTR (Duyrat Série 5)

Era date 208 (CH) was as far as we know the last year these coins were produced and is the only coin to bare Greek lettering instead of the usual Phoenician dating system found on earlier coins. One can almost sense the Aradians despair while they attempted to hold on to their traditions, hence the Phoenician letter qoph to the left above the battering ram. To date only two coins have been documented so understandably i am very pleased to be adding a third coin which will hopefully help broaden our understanding of this type. The obvious lack of detail with era date 208 can be clearly seen when comparing older coins in this series, i.e Zeus, ships ram and overall general appearance.

The coin seen below has been overzealously cleaned by one of it´s previous owners but nevertheless an important coin and one that i am overjoyed to own. Interestingly there was a gap in production spanning 76 years from 126/25 B.C to 52/1 B.C, if production continued during this period then hopefully at some point coins will be found that will fill in a few of the missing era dates.

Aradian era date 208 CH (52/1 B.C), Qoph

New coin can be seen in bold text below (2185b).

2184 *D265-R361, Berlin, SM, Löbbecke (1906). 2,68 g, 14,1 mm, 12 h.  (Image 1 - Left)
2185 *D266-R362, New York, ANS 1944 100 70699 Newell. 2,42 g, 13,7 mm, 12 h.  (Image 1 - right)
2185b *D267-R363, Arados collection, AR-No.ZTR 208Q12-C (IA) . 2,85 g, 14,2 mm, 12 h.  (Image 2)

Final attribution

Phoenicia, Arados 52-51 B.C

AE 14.02mm (Thickness 2.85mm), weight 2.85g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees), denomination C.

Obverse: Braided, bearded head of Zeus right, border of dots.

Reverse: Tripple pointed ram of galley left, Phoenician letter qoph above, Aradian era date (CH) 208 below.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 11:24:04 am »
Congratulation nice rare coin ... ;) +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 08:15:50 am »
Thanks Q, it will probably be a while before we see another of this series for sale.  +++

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 11:28:04 am »
Struck during the reigns of Selukos I Niktor 306-281 B.C or Antiochus I Sotor 281-261 B.C ?

“Arados increased her autonomy in 259 B.C while the Seleucid Empire retained overlordship”

Coins of Arados depicting Tyche/Prow (Série 1, Duyrat 2005) and the type we know has Herakles/Prow struck under Seleucid rule share many remarkable similaraties, for example both reverses have near identical prows with traditional Phoenician eye on the bow, both have Athena Promachos figurehead fighting left in identical positions and both coins are undated. Another point worth mentioning is that there has been relatively few Herakles coins found to date, this could suggest that the Seleucids influence over the Aradians was diminishing, resulting in very low production of coinage. It is also plausible that there could have been a overlapping of both coins during the early years of self-governance. In summarising i would say weight, size and overall general appearance suggests in my opinion a production date closer to 261 B.C.

For informational purposes it needs to be stipulated that Arados did in fact add dates to Série 1 from year 18 or 242/1 B.C.

The image top shows both reverses, starting left with Herakles/Prow and on the right Tyche/Prow.

The image below is my own coin that kickstarted this post.  ;)

Phoenicia, Arados 306-261 B.C

AE 14.77mm (Thickness 1.99mm), weight 2.91g, die axis = 7h (210 degrees), Tetrobol.

Obverse: Head of Herakles wearing lion skin right.

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead fighting left with shield and spear, anchor right. Seleukid era date 7-51.

My thanks to BNF & ACSEARCH for supplying the reverse images.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:42 am »
Duyrat SÉRIE 1 update

I have submitted two coins previously of type Duyrat SÉRIE 1, these can be seen in posts 1 & 6.

Please bare in mind that this coin is of very low quality but historically of great value...for the time being.

In the list provided below are two coins published by Duyrat numbered 1446/47 that have letters missing preventing an exact identification. Using the coins that were contributed for her study she concluded that both 1446 and 1447 had similar combinations of letters, that of aleph, nun & daleth. Indeed i was also of the same assumption that the lettering on my coin was akin to that of Duyrat´s. But there was one disconcerting problem, where was the palm tree seen on the majority of later issues of this type ?

Looking once again at my coin i noticed that the Phoenician letters were partially obscured by a thin layer of sand and dirt, gently using a dental pick i removed the sand surrounding them. To my astonishment when re-examining the coin under the magnifying glass i could now clearly see the AP monogram of Arados, palm tree and the letter Daleth. Nothing ventured, nothing gained springs to mind.

“At a later date i will be proposing a splitting of SÉRIE 1 into two different groups of coins, this due to issues concerning weight and measurement i.e denomination and also the lack of beveled flans on the larger coins of this type. In Oliver D. Hoover´s publication HGC10, we actually see a separation of both types but he doesn’t give any explanation as to why they have been separated and indeed quotes Duyrat SÉRIE 1 for identification purposes".

Listed below are the five coins published with era date 38 and two additional coins with illegible Phoenician dates below prow, for informational purposes my coin is numbered 1447b.

An 38 (222/1), ’ ?, D dans le champ en haut
1446 *D35?-R58, Londres, BM, BMC 95. 5,43 g, 19,2 mm, 6 h.

’, N ? dans le champ en haut
1447 *D36-R59, New York, ANS 1971 193 54. 5,27 g, 11.1 mm.

AP PT D dans le champ en haut / AP = Arados, PT=Palm Tree & D=Daleth.
1447b *D37-R59, Arados collection (JB). 5,64 g, 18.28 mm, 12 h.

[-] No identifiable letters.
1448 *D37-R60, Berlin, SM, C. R. Fox (1873). 5,08 g, 18,4 mm, 12 h.
1449 D37-R60, New York, ANS 1948 19 2148. 4,52 g, 16,7 mm, 6 h.

An 38 ?
1450  *D38-R61, NewYork, ANS199254644 Lindgren.5,62g, 17,6 mm, 12 h. Style du droit proche de celui de D36.
1451  *D39-R?, NewYork, ANS199254645 Lindgren.An35+. 4,40 g, 16,6 mm, 12 h.

Final attribution;

Phoenicia, Arados 222-221 B.C

AE 18.28mm (Thickness 2.99mm), weight 5.64g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees), denomination B.

Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, beading.

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena Promachos figurehead fighting left, above AP Monogram, Palm Tree and Phoenician letter daleth (D), Aradian era date 38 below.

Reattributed to Karne 19 Feb. 2017

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 08:44:30 am »
Hello Arados - I'm enjoying your thread very much. I recently acquired this bronze with Tyche and Poseidon. It's Denomination B at 22mm, 6.88g. I do not have Duryat, but Hoover lists the coin in HGC 10, number 78, which he references to Duryat 2237-2438. Is this correct? Also, I'm not sure I read the date correctly. The closest date in Hoover to what I have on this coin is 130/29 BC. What are your thoughts?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 09:47:00 am »
Hello John,

Your coin is definitely Aradian era date 130 (130/129 B.C) as you so rightly thought, on this issue there should be the letter nun directly under the right arm of Zeus and in bottom field under the era date the letter daleph, both letters appear to be where they should be.

I do not own a copy of Hoover but if he states that 130/129 B.C (era date 130) is the equivalent to Duyrat 2237-2348 then this is incorrect. All the coins of this type listed in Duyrat are numbered 2237-2492, this would place your coins reference between 2357-2435 for era date 130.

If you require a much closer identification, i would say that your coin as all characteristics of Duyrat 2391 & 2392.

Thanks for your support and keep up the good work with your interesting thread on Nabataean Numismatics. ;) +++

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 10:11:52 am »
Thank you kindly!

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »
Great Job +++ +++ +++
Nassif

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »
Thanks Nassif,

I really do appreciate the support given by all Forum members, it makes the journey i'm on even more pleasurable and worthwhile.

Arados

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:57 am »
Series AR-TPAP (Duyrat SÉRIE 7)

Hello FORVM friends,

I would like to share with you this SÉRIE 7 coin from Arados which i have dated as year 85 (175-174 B.C). There are four types from era date 85, three of which have varying mint marks/Phoenician letters on them and one without any mint mark at all. My coin has letters ayin and taw in right field, ayin is extremely hard to see with the naked eye but with a magnifying glass is just visible above the prow, nearly of flan. Taw is much easier to make out, if you first locate what appears to be the letter A behind Poseidon legs and then pan right, taw can be seen very close to the coins edge. I have managed to track down four coins with the same letters, two can be found in ANS and two in BNF.

I also believe that i have found a matching reverse in Duyrat 2005 dated year 84 (see image 2), this coin warrants further study and perhaps would be re-dated year 85.

Final attribution for my coin (see image 1)

Phoenicia, Arados 175-174 B.C

AE 21.41mm (Thickness 3.20mm), weight 7.69g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees), denomination B.

Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, braided ponytail, palm frond behind.

Reverse: Poseidon seated left on prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead, holding wreath in right, trident in left, Phoenician letters ayin (`) and taw (T) in right field, Aradian era date 85 below.

Duyrat 2005 Pg.66, No.2242-2245 ; HGC:10 Pg.22, no.78.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 08:26:53 am »
Ex. H.C.Lindgren from the Butte College Foundation

I bought this coin in August last year, on it´s receipt i placed the coin immediately into quarantine just has a precautionary measure. I was worried about the possibility of BD even though to be honest the coin did look stable. After five months of periodically checking for further outbreaks of possible BD i am now contemplating adding this coin to my collection, more specifically into my coin cabinet. Please share your thoughts if you feel that i am slightly premature in placing it with my collection and that i should wait awhile longer ?

Final attribution

Phoenicia, Arados 190-189 B.C

AE 15.56mm (Thickness 3.34mm), weight 4.23g, die axis = 11h (330 degrees), denomination C.

Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, border of dots.

Reverse: Prow of galley left, stem rising forward in a curve, Phoenician letters taw (T) and ayin (‘) on either side of AP, Aradian era date 70 below.

This is the fourth coin i know of with era date 70 and monogram Taw, AP (Arados) & Ayin.

Duyrat 2005

1716 *D41-R63, Berlin, SM, Imhoof-Blumer (1900). 3,23 g, 15,0 mm, 12 h.

1717 D41-R64, Paris, BNF, Luynes no 3165. 2,49 g, 16,1 mm, 12 h.

1718 *D42-R65, collection A. Ronde. 14,8 mm, 12 h.

1718b D42b-R65b, collection Rowe. 4.23g, 15.56 mm, 11 h.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2015, 09:08:44 am »
Nice coin, Martin!  Never hurts to wait a little longer though, which is what I would recommend.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2015, 01:18:56 pm »
Nice coin, Martin!  Never hurts to wait a little longer though, which is what I would recommend.

Good advice Nick, i would never forgive myself if BD spread through my collection. I suppose another five months in quarantine would be a good starting point, this would certainly put my mind at ease. I will continue to take photos every other month just to keep tabs on any potential new spots of BD that might develop.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 08:23:06 am »
The Sands Of Time

Duyrat 2005 Pg.60; No.1983-1987.

I am well chuffed with this Aradian coin i bought recently, dating from year 147-146 B.C (era date 113). With an almost perfect strike and wonderful golden desert patina this coin still as in places a thick layer of sand adhered to it.  

This is the second coin i have purchased with Phoenician letters shin (:phoenician_sin_2:) & aleph (:phoenician_alef_2:) and is by far the most attractive i have seen anywhere with this particular date and lettering.

Time to remove the sand ? ;)

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2015, 05:47:42 am »
Series AR-TPAS (Duyrat série III) with rare era date

Although very common as a series, this Aradian bronze dated year 21 is only the second coin to my knowledge with this particular date. The other can be found in the BMC.

An 21 (239/8), d dans le champ en haut

1417 *D18-R37, Londres, BM, BMC 91. 3,46 g, 16,6 mm, 6 h. (see top image)
1417b *D18-R37b, Stockholm, collection Martin Rowe. 4.34 g, 17,73 mm, 6 h.  (see bottom image)

Final attribution

Phoenicia, Arados 239-238 B.C

AE 17.73mm (Thickness 2.35mm), weight 4.34g, die axis = 6h (180 degrees), denomination C.

Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, border of dots (Beveled flan).

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead fighting left with shield and spear, AP monogram above, border of dots (of the flan). Aradian era date 21.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »
Previously unpublished Series AR-No.TPSC (Duyrat SÉRIE 3)

This previously unpublished SÉRIE 3 has given me plenty of headaches recently. Going purely on appearance i was pretty certain that i had found a new era date, but due to the partially covered date i was prevented from publishing the coin earlier. Even with the use of different lighting setups and numerous magnifying glasses, i could not say with full certainty which era date was lurking under the remaining dirt on the coin. I found myself in limbo, should i attempt to clean the coin myself knowing that one slip up would erase the hidden part of the date forever or should i enlist the services of master coin cleaner Lee S. I opted for the latter of course, seriously did you really think i would trust myself with such an important undertaking as this. I needed someone else to blame if things went horribly wrong. Fortunately my faith in Lee´s abilities were justified.  ;)

Thanks mate for your invaluable help and for enabling me to confirm that this coin was indeed previously unpublished.  +++

Has far as we know this series starts at year 45 (215-214 B.C) and ends at year 84 (176-175 B.C), with a gap in production spanning twelve years from year 72 to 84.

These unusual busts of Tyche with puffy cheeks only appear on SÉRIE 3 coins, with the closest match to my coin being that of era date 72. (See image 2 & 3 showing facial similarities)

Final attribution with era date 73;

Phoenicia, Arados 187-186 B.C

AE 13.98mm (Thickness 2.52mm), weight 2.54g, die axis = 11h (330 degrees), denomination C.

Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, border of dots.

Reverse: Prow of galley left, stem rising forward in a curve, Phoenician letters ? (?) and ayin (‘) on either side of AP, Aradian era date 73 below.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2015, 01:19:30 pm »
Somewhat Over Enthusiastic Collecting

Due to my somewhat over enthusiastic collecting of Aradian coins, the chances of me finding previously unpublished SÉRIE 5 greatly increases. Don't get me wrong, most of you already know that this type are very common. However, they can be found with a wide ranging set of dates and mint marks, i suppose this is one of the reasons why they intrigue me so much. I would imagine that if viewed by novices or by collectors who’s interests lie elsewhere, that most would have difficulties distinguishing between this type.

On this particular coin we see era date 109 with mint mark lamedh and nun, this combination has never been published before so i´m really pleased to be able to add it to my collection.

Final attribution

Phoenicia, Arados 151-150 B.C

AE 17.63mm (Thickness 1.84mm), weight 2.21g, die axis = 1h (30 degrees), denomination C.

Reverse: Tripple pointed ram of galley left, Phoenician letters lamedh (L) and nun (N) above, Aradian era date 109 below.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »
You are a TRUE numismatist!
Keep up your great efforts and, if I may be so bold, aim to publish your results someday!
PeteB

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2015, 04:16:59 am »
I would like to publish at some point in the not too distant future, but we will have to see if time and health allow me to fulfil my ambitions. Until then i will continue with my studies of Aradian coins and hopefully help to build interest in this area of collecting.

Thanks for your support Pete, your comments are really warming on this cold Saturday morning in Stockholm.  ;) +++

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:39 am »
Unpublished Year 92

Yet another unpublished SÉRIE 5 with mint marks daleth & ayin and dated year 92.

The two coins found in Arados Hellénistique by F. Duyrat dating from the same year have mint marks daleth & aleph.

An 92 (168/7), ’, D

1788   *D15-R18, Lyon, musée des Beaux-Arts. 4,04 g.
1789   *D16-R19, Paris,BNF, H.SeyrigY28883, 21,12h.3,52g, 15,5 mm, 12 h.
1789b *D16-R19b, Stockholm, collection Rowe KE, 3,89g, 16,58mm, 12h.

Final attribution

Phoenicia, Arados 168-167 B.C

AE 16.58mm (Thickness 2.68mm), weight 3.89g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees), denomination C.

Reverse: Tripple pointed ram of galley left, Phoenician letters daleph (D) and ayin (‘) above, Aradian era date 92 below.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 01:44:06 am »
Struck during the reigns of Selukos I Niktor 306-281 B.C or Antiochus I Sotor 281-261 B.C ?

“Arados increased her autonomy in 259 B.C while the Seleucid Empire retained overlordship”

Coins of Arados depicting Tyche/Prow (Série 1, Duyrat 2005) and the type we know has Herakles/Prow struck under Seleucid rule share many remarkable similaraties, for example both reverses have near identical prows with traditional Phoenician eye on the bow, both have Athena Promachos fighting left in identical positions and both coins are undated. Another point worth mentioning is that there has been relatively few Herakles coins found to date, this could suggest that the Seleucids influence over the Aradians was diminishing, resulting in very low production of coinage. It is also plausible that there could have been a overlapping of both coins during the early years of self-governance. In summarising i would say weight, size and overall general appearance suggests in my opinion a production date closer to 261 B.C.

For informational purposes it needs to be stipulated that Arados did in fact add dates to Série 1 from year 18 or 242/1 B.C.

The image top shows both reverses, starting left with Herakles/Prow and on the right Tyche/Prow.

AE 14.77mm (Thickness 1.99mm), weight 2.91g, die axis = 7h (210 degrees), Tetrobol.

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead fighting left with shield and spear, anchor above. Seleukid era date 7-51.

You can amend this chronology (and coin description ... Athena is actually a ship's figurehead consistent with Phoenician practice of the time) in light of Hoover's review of this coinage and corrections to the errors in the entries for SC 72 & SC 73.... refer extract below.

A full copy of the paper and plates can be download here AJN 18 (2006) .....

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015066113336;view=1up;seq=52
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2015, 04:23:07 am »

Coins of Arados depicting Tyche/Prow (Série 1, Duyrat 2005) and the type we know has Herakles/Prow struck under Seleucid rule share many remarkable similaraties, for example both reverses have near identical prows with traditional Phoenician eye on the bow, both have Athena Promachos fighting left in identical positions and both coins are undated. Another point worth mentioning is that there has been relatively few Herakles coins found to date, this could suggest that the Seleucids influence over the Aradians was diminishing, resulting in very low production of coinage. It is also plausible that there could have been a overlapping of both coins during the early years of self-governance. In summarising i would say weight, size and overall general appearance suggests in my opinion a production date closer to 261 B.C.

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead fighting left with shield and spear, anchor above. Seleukid era date 7-51.

You can amend this chronology (and coin description ... Athena is actually a ship's figurehead consistent with Phoenician practice of the time) in light of Hoover's review of this coinage and corrections to the errors in the entries for SC 72 & SC 73.... refer extract below.

A full copy of the paper and plates can be download here AJN 18 (2006) .....

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015066113336;view=1up;seq=52

The only text i will agree to amend will be that of the main description, i did indeed forget to write "figurehead". The reverse descriptions connected to all the Aradian series depicting Athena figurehead will remain.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »
Confirmation of Rare Mint Marks

In Frédérique Duyrat´s publication Arados Hellénistique there is uncertainty surrounding three coins of SÉRIE 5 numbered 2173, 2174 & 2175 dated Aradian year 120 (140/139 B.C). Not having the opportunity to study these coins more closely it is difficult to say with all honesty whether the images provided in Duyrat 2005 match the mint marks on my coin.

Seen below for the first time are the unmistakable mint marks of aleph & qoph (read from right to left).

Final attribution;

Phoenicia, Arados 140-139 B.C AE 15.51mm (Thickness 2.53mm), weight 3.35g, die axis = 1h (30 degrees), denomination C.

Reverse: Tripple pointed ram of galley left, Phoenician letter qoph (Q) and aleph (,) above, Aradian era date 120 below.

https://phoeniciancoins.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/confirmation-of-mint-marks-uncertainty/

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2015, 07:50:10 am »
In Phoenician legend Anat (Astarte) and Baal (Zeus), the king of gods, ruled the universe under the aegis of El (Kronos).  Anat was also called Asherar-yam or Baalat (our dear lady) in the cities of Tyre, Sidon and Byblos.

It is only during the Hellenistic period that both Zeus & Astarte were seen together on coins of Phoenicia, a union which according to ancient text began with peaceful rule but regressed into divine struggle for the pantheon and cosmos.

The coin below is of Zeus and Astarte (Jugate) with Athena figurehead on prow of galley.

I really like the attractive green patina and clear mint marks, also i seemed to have captured a good sense of depth highlighting the strike of the coin in the image provided.

Final attribution;

Phoenicia, Arados 129-128 B.C

AE 16.32mm (Thickness 2.38mm), weight 3.41g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees), denomination C.

Obverse: Jugate, Braided, bearded head of Zeus and Astarte wearing stephane facing right, dotted border.

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead, holding wreath in right, trident in left, Phoenician letters nun (N) & aleph (´) above, Aradian era date 131 below.

https://phoeniciancoins.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/zeus-and-astarte-jugate/

All coins are guaranteed for eternity