Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Sept. Sev. Laodicea-ad-Mare help

<< < (2/5) > >>

curtislclay:
      This issue only occurs with IMP VIII, however the last I or II sometimes is placed under the bust, where they can be overlooked leading to erroneous readings of IMP VI and VII.  Your coin too will have the third I under the bust.  I can check tonight at home whether I have a plaster cast of a coin from the same obv. die clearly reading IMP VII-I.
    Maybe I have a cast that will solve the INVICT/INVICTO dilemma too.

curtislclay:
    Incidentally that's a rare issue and one of its rarer rev. types, so nice acquisition!

maridvnvm:
Curtis. I knew that it is a scarce issue and it made a good addition to my collection of Sept. Sev. Eastern dens. I will have a good look at the obverse and undoubtedly with find the third I or at least traces of it. I would appreciate any help with any die matches you find. The apparent O seems to be quite out of proportion with the rest of the reverse legend but then it wouldn't be the strangest thing I have seen with these issues.
Maridvnvm

roscoedaisy:
I agree the O to me is somewhat smaller than what M outlines above and is out of proportion to the rest of the legend.

As for the VIII, I can see no traces of the trailing I but the picture isnt very high-res.  Any chance for a higher res scan of that area of the coin?

RD

maridvnvm:
Higher res. obverse as requested.
Maridvnvm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version