Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Quarter Follis?

<< < (9/9)

cscoppa:
RIC 169a it is.  O: CONSTANTIVS AVG R: GENIEOPOP-VLI ROMANI Ex: SIS - 1/4 folles minted 305-6, rarity - R2

Rugser:
cscoppa

You excuse the delay for the answer.

This  coin  R/  VOT / QQ / MUL /  XX   has listed 281c on RIC, Cohen 138.

The SEAR (Ed. 1981) n. 3685 has told AE quarter-follis.

This fraction doesn't have above sign of mint....   to my seem for the context in which it has stayed found it is Mint Rome or Mint OSTIA . Correct AD 310-311

ser

cscoppa:
Rugser,

I agree that Sear's listing even in the 4th ed in 1988 says 1/4 follis, but I must bow to the knowledge that Curtis brings to the table along with RIC's listing of 1/3 and stick to my thoughts that it is a 1/3. How about we just call it a small fraction and we both can be happy. I am sure that greater minds than ours (at least mine) have had this debate for centuries and it will probably not stop with our generation.  The engineer in me is yelling for facts and we do not have that many to go on. And it is too bad. It would be wonderful if someone uncovered a document spelling out the demoninations of that day, but as an old proverb says "if wishes were horses even the beggers would ride" or in other words not too high a probability of finding that document.

--- Quote from: curtislclay on December 10, 2003, 08:55:43 pm ---    Rugser's coin is exactly RIC VI Rome 281c as Chip suggests, which is classified not as a follis but as a "one-third follis".  
    Only the "quarter-folles" of 305-6 with rev. GUNIO POPVLI ROMANI were struck at Siscia.  Other issues of fractional coins were struck at other mints, primarily Rome and Trier. also Ostia under Maxentius.
--- End quote ---

Your friend Chip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version