Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Plating question...  (Read 1600 times)

greyhound48

Plating question...
« on: December 07, 2003, 09:03:22 pm »
Are many of the Roman coins silver plated??

I have been cleaning up some of my really bad encrusted coins through
electrolosis and notice that many seem like silver then  during cleaning turn copper color.
Since these are just for fun coins I am not concerned about ruining them, just wondering.
I put my good patina coins in olive oil for a month to clean.

Also how do I know if I have a gold coin?  do gold coins have patinas also??

:)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re:Plating question...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 09:08:03 pm »
Gold coins will not have patina or encrustations, they also will not be pitted or corroded. Basically they come out of the ground looking just like they went in. Which is why you never find gold in unclean lots. As soon as they are dug the finder knows that they are gold.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 06:03:44 am »
There are different types of silvering applied to coins at various stages of the empire.
Firstly there are fouree coins which have a copper core and are silver plated. There is much debate as to whether these coins are officially authorised debased coins of contemporary forgeries. These are copies of denarii.
Secondly there are silver washed coins, which are bronze conis that have been washed in silver as an official issue. This silver was on these coins is very delicate and should be maintained at all costs. Maintaining the silver wash increases the value of a coins significantly.
Here are a few coins that should allow you to see the difference between these types.

Firstly a Fouree of Julia Domna of an official denarius.

Maridvnvm

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 06:05:59 am »
This is a Barbarous imitation of an imperial denarius of Severvs Alexander. It is attempting to copy the style of a MARS VLTOR denarius.
Maridvnvm

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 06:07:44 am »
This is a Silver washed Ant of Probus with the silvering intact.
Maridvnvm

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 06:11:04 am »
This is another Ant of Probus but here you can see that only some of the silver wash remains intact.
Maridvnvm

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 06:12:37 am »
And another Ant of Probus but this time there is no silvering left.
I hope this helps.
Maridvnvm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity