Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 32094 times)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 12:31:02 am »
Mother Earth my home , Born in Jordan, Canadian citizen , and live right now in USA, Orchard lake, MI.
I live every where, where ever there is a Plane and a Hotel :)
Salem

Offline Soxfan

• Praetorian
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 10:08:38 am »
Originally from Vermont and now live in Nashville, Tennessee. Winters in the south are so much more enjoyable.... ;)

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 12:51:56 pm »
Born in the San Francisco Bay Area, but grew up and still live in Louisiana.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:27 pm »
I'm from Québec, the french part of Canada. Doesn't seem to be much of us around here ???

I'm originally from New-Brunswick, Canada, and a french speaking Acadian  :) ,  now living in Halifax, Nova-Scotia, Canada

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »
Born and raised in the South Side of St. Louis, thumbed around most of the country back in the 80's (when I should have been in college), joined the army in the late 80's, lived in Germany (Mannheim) for a couple of years, traveled to the Middle East and Asia (traveled being a loose term, it was more like my tank traveled and I had to follow it) and have been back in St. Louis ever since. (I like it here! lol Even with the incredible humidity in the summer and the ice storms in the winter!)
My only regret is not visiting GB when I was in Europe...one of these days...

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 07:15:58 pm »
lived in Germany (Mannheim) for a couple of years,

I know Mannheim very well. I think it was a paradigm for numbering the streets and avenues in NY. Mannheim, founded in the time of Baroque era - a time of contradictions but where the rationality was in flower too (Pascal, Leibniz, Newton) - is built grid-like. The origin is the Palace and the Breite Straße (Broad Way) running from the Palace quite through the City. If you look from the Palace to the City the squares on the left side are numbered from A to K, the squares on the right side from L to U. Then they are numbered referring to their distance from the Breite Straße from 1 to 7 (or 15), f.e. A1, A2, A3, and so on, altogether 144 squares. The house numbers of each square start at the corner facing the Palace and then are running counterclockwise on the left side (A to K), and clockwise on the right side (L to U).

The idea was as follows: The Palace was seen as a fountain whose spout shoots up the Breite Straße and then squares are the water falling down. Therefore the sense of rotation on the left side was counterclockwise and on the left side clockwise.

In 1968 my wife lived in C2-1. There are no other street names in the City as these numbers.

Beg your pardon for this excursion.

Best regards

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 07:50:51 pm »
lived in Germany (Mannheim) for a couple of years,

I know Mannheim very well. I think it was a paradigm for numbering the streets and avenues in NY. Mannheim, founded in the time of Baroque era - a time of contradictions but where the rationality was in flower too (Pascal, Leibniz, Newton) - is built grid-like. The origin is the Palace and the Breite Straße (Broad Way) running from the Palace quite through the City. If you look from the Palace to the City the squares on the left side are numbered from A to K, the squares on the right side from L to U. Then they are numbered referring to their distance from the Breite Straße from 1 to 7 (or 15), f.e. A1, A2, A3, and so on, altogether 144 squares. The house numbers of each square start at the corner facing the Palace and then are running counterclockwise on the left side (A to K), and clockwise on the right side (L to U).

The idea was as follows: The Palace was seen as a fountain whose spout shoots up the Breite Straße and then squares are the water falling down. Therefore the sense of rotation on the left side was counterclockwise and on the left side clockwise.

In 1968 my wife lived in C2-1. There are no other street names in the City as these numbers.

Beg your pardon for this excursion.

Best regards

You would like Germania.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Germania-Personal-History-Germans-Ancient/dp/0330451391

I think Mannheim's layout was discussed within

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 07:54:34 pm »
Thanks for the hint!

Jochen

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 08:25:24 pm »

You were a tanker in the army in the late 80's?

I was a tanker in the 3rd ACR in 1989-90. I was only in for a bit more than a year... bit of a troublemaker I suppose. Those M1A1s were fun to drive!

5/77th 8th ID (Mech) (Steel Tigers, Sir!) lol...They were AWSOME to drive! lol...though they sucked to load, which I got stuck with for half the time I was in (I was on the XO's tank in headquarters platoon...low man on the totem pole...I didn't move up to driver until I was an E4(p) lol).

And yeah, Jochen I was amazed at how easy I could find the clubs down town after only going once or twice with others! It was all left right and straight! :) I loved the water tower at the top of the shopping district, and we were just a short train ride from Heidleberg with the cool castle. I wish I would have been more in to roman things and less in to partying while I was there, but after we got back from Kuwait, partying seemed like the thing to do.

Chris

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »
I used to know that area quite well; I was always going up and down for the climbing.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »
I was a tanker in the 3rd ACR in 1989-90.
[/quote]

Old tankers never die, they just collect old coins.

I was in the 3rd sqdn. 3rd ACR at Ft. Bliss , TX 1980-82 just prior to the M1 Abrams tank. I drove the M60A1. I never saw an Abrams in person exept the XM1 prototype at Ft. Knox, KY during training.

I was born in Winchester, VA and currently live in Logan, UT.

Regards, Steve

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:00 am »
I was a tanker in the 3rd ACR in 1989-90.

Old tankers never die, they just collect old coins.

I was in the 3rd sqdn. 3rd ACR at Ft. Bliss , TX 1980-82 just prior to the M1 Abrams tank. I drove the M60A1. I never saw an Abrams in person exept the XM1 prototype at Ft. Knox, KY during training.

I was born in Winchester, VA and currently live in Logan, UT.

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

I traind on the M1's at Knox, they were great except that the whole 105 round was brass (in the A1's they went to a german made 120mm main gun and just the endcap was brass, the rest of the round was cellulose which would burn up on firing) and after firing off a few rounds the area where they ejected would be full. I am 6'1" so my legs were wedged against the gate and my toes would be under it and even with the nomex boots my feet/legs would heat up pretty quickly! lol

It does seem...odd to me, too. (all of us ex and current military types collecting ancients) I know of several, including the owner/operator of this site!

Chris

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
I am from Newfoundland, Canada's other distinct society. I'd be curious to know if there are any other Newfoundlanders on this board--I can't find anyone who collects ancient coins where I live (St. John's). And I was, very briefly and unsuccessfully, in the Canadian army.

Dan

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 03:43:17 am »
Not only a collector but a well known and reputable dealer lives in St. Johns.
Andreas Reich

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »
I have an interest in hammered English,Irish,& Scots coins as a part of my wide interest in British Commonwealth numismatics.

Welcome Aidan,

I also love Scots, Irish & 'Olde English', it’s in my blood.  I've sort of put these on the 'back burner' since I've allowed myself to be immersed into the world of Ancient Rome.  I am confident that you'll really feel at home here at The FORVM, these fine people have been very patient with this new guy and I know you'll have the same great experience.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »
Bud,
  Thanks for welcoming me aboard.The only Roman-type coins that interest me are the ones that were struck at the mints in Roman Britain.I do have an AE3 that was struck at Londinium kicking around somewhere in my British Isles box.As to what denomination AE3 refers to,I have no idea.

Well Aidan, FORVM is dedicated to "... provide coin collectors, history buffs and students a fun and informative place to explore and learn about ancient history and ancient coins." If you want to learn more about Ancient Numismatics, then this is the place to be.  I am sure that there are many here that collect and study coinage from other eras & areas, but the focus of FORVM is the study and promotion of Ancient Coin Collecting.  I am thrilled to be here are part of this and hope you are, or will be, as well.  Take care and enjoy.  ;)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:29 pm »
An AE3 is a base metal coin with a diameter between about 18 and 22mm. We use the term because we don't know what the Romans called them. If you put a pic in the identification section, we'll soon tell you exactly what it is.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Maria

• Praetorian
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 11:04:15 am »
greetings from old Illyricum, today croatia :)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 04:25:28 pm »
Representing northern Europe, I live in Finland. So happy I found this forum:laugh:

There are a surprisingly good amount of Finns active on this Forum. You should all set up a Foorumi Suomea!

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2010, 06:03:00 am »
Yes Aidan I am aware of this. I have been to Estonia at least 6 times and Finland once. I have tried my hand at both languages and yes, they both have the common Finno-Ugric origin, although many words are significantly different.

You will be pleased to know that Estonia is replacing the Kroon with the Euro on the 1st. of January 2011.

Aidan.

I am certainly not pleased that Estonia has been given the go ahead to replace the Kroon with the Brussels Rouble. Euros are non-collectable as far as I am concerned. I would have much rather each nation keep it's own currency for the sake of numismatic variety. I was certainly sad to see the Maltese Lira go when we changed over in 2008.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 06:58:39 am »
Why should Euros not be collectable? Only one side of them is identical. The other is different in each country. And then many special issues appear each year with themes related to the editing country. And you can buy several silver and gold issues. The problem is, that there are too much coins!

Best regards

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 07:07:54 am »

Didn´t know there was so much activity from Finland, haven´t found almost anything on antique coins in our own websites here... but since we are such a withdrawn nationality I guess thats´s not so surprising  ::)

Annette

From my time in Helsinki I remember the silence rule quite well! My Finnish room mate in the hostel spoke to me only to tell me it was my turn to buy toilet paper! And we actually got along well!  ;D

I suggest taking a look at the page of the Finnish Numismatic Society, which looks quite excellent:

http://www.snynumis.fi/sny/engsny.htm

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 02:20:13 am »
Born and raised and still livin' the good life in sunny Southern California, Tustin to be exact which is in Orange County the home of Disneyland.

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 07:09:43 am »
I'm in Orange county also,New York though.
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 04:07:40 pm »
Los Angeles Ca.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

All coins are guaranteed for eternity