Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Phoenix on Pyre

(1/17) > >>

Bluefish:
Question folks....

I thought in the beginning that the phoenix was atop a pile of rocks. Now I know it is a pyre. The five layers it is standing on...are those representations of logs?? If so, if seen from a side angle, would you imagine them to be cross-stacked, log cabin style, or are they all in the same direction forming the pyramid shape?

Steve Minnoch:
Every source (including RIC VIII) I can recall describes it as a pile of rocks (excluding the the variety where it is clearly on a globe).  Who says it is a pyre, and why?

Steve

divo:
VM has pyre listed.

Divo

Bluefish:
Hi Steve.

I have seen it so described in a few posts here on Forvm, and in looking at a dozen or so entries under Constans and one of the other sons on Wildwinds and DOC's, it is described as such. As to "why", I have no idea. (I'd actually prefer it to be a rock pile, truth be told)

Steve Minnoch:
I would like to think I keep an open mind on such issues, but it certainly looks like a pile of rocks, at least on some of the best preserved coins I've seen, and at least superficially placing the phoenix on a pyre would seem to contradict the message of FEL TEMP REPARATIO - more like the idea of a phoenix rising from the ashes, not placed on a pyre not yet burnt... or is the "rising from the ashes" idea a more modern one than I thought?

I'd love to hear any arguments why it would be a pyre.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version