Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Do you have a preferred image or motif on Roman coins?

(1/4) > >>

Adrian H:
I am a new collector of coins but I am also an avid birder. My first coin was a Julia Mamaea portrait with Juno holding a bowl above a peacock on the reverse. I find that I am drawn to more coins with birds on them. I just learned about Faustina RIC 744 & 745 - definitely on my wishlist. Want imagery do you guys seek out on coins?

Tom Mullally:
I actively collect coins with a Poseidon/Neptune theme.  They're often hard to come by so I sometimes expand my collecting focus to anything nautical related; eg: dolphins, ships, etc.  It's good to  have a collecting theme or I would collect everything that catches my eye and always be broke!

Tom

Adrian H:

--- Quote from: Tom Mullally on July 16, 2022, 02:32:14 pm ---It's good to  have a collecting theme or I would collect everything that catches my eye and always be broke!

Tom

--- End quote ---

Yes, absolutely.

I like the look of Syracusan coins with dolphins swimming around, but I don' have one. What is your favorite Neptune/nautical coin that you have or want?

Blindado:
Ever since reading Adrenne Mayor's book The Amazons: Lives and Legends of Warrior Women across the Ancient World a few years ago, I've been accumulating coins depicting amazons minted at a time when the Graeco-Roman world had actual contact with the Scythian women horse warriors who were the historical amazons. Here's my gallery so far: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6690

v-drome:
Blindado, nice gallery and great write-ups!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version