Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying is needed!  (Read 768 times)

Offline Danny K

• Legionary
Identifying is needed!
« on: July 15, 2022, 11:06:00 pm »
Help me identify it plz!
Thank you!

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
Re: Identifying is needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 12:50:44 am »
Maybe this:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1748794
give the weight-dimension

Regards Waldemar

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 01:43:22 am »

Offline Danny K

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 03:19:27 am »
Weight is nearly 17 grams only!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 07:16:13 am »
Modern crude cast fake of Syracuse--not real, not ancient.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 02:00:01 pm »
I agree with David. It is a cast replica of a Syracuse. We would need the weight, diameter and metal type to be specific.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Danny K

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 07:42:00 pm »
Thank you all , my coin is definitely not ancient Greek one for sure , I know how ancient Greek coins well , this one is made of gold but not pure gold as Cooper added as i can see while adding fuming Nitric acid, i wouldn't keep it or clean it up as it is now if it was just an old or even ancient coin! , i know cleaning up ancient coins should be done gently!
I find it a very interesting coin , not recorded as ancient coin and still ancient for me at least so i can travel anywhere and nobody would ask me from where i got my ancient coin coz it's not ancient yet according to all available records for ancient coins ,second  i can see a unique coin actually weird one as if it was made by an emperor who might be one of the modern Greeks and maybe ruled that area which is Turkey now and the design of his coin included the main lines of old Syracuse coins and he or she added a unique mask as you can see some devil with two horns so there's something creative about it no doubt , finally i understand you only follw well-known records listing coins by date and eras but don't forget Greek empire was much larger than Greek now and some ancient Greek cities or even kingdoms like that one which was defeated by the Turkish invaders is totally forgotten and maybe my coin belongs to one of such modern Greek colonies in Asia no idea but i really like that look on it's front side!

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 08:21:43 am »
Thank you all , my coin is definitely not ancient Greek one for sure , I know how ancient Greek coins well , this one is made of gold but not pure gold as Cooper added as i can see while adding fuming Nitric acid, i wouldn't keep it or clean it up as it is now if it was just an old or even ancient coin! , i know cleaning up ancient coins should be done gently!
I find it a very interesting coin , not recorded as ancient coin and still ancient for me at least so i can travel anywhere and nobody would ask me from where i got my ancient coin coz it's not ancient yet according to all available records for ancient coins ,second  i can see a unique coin actually weird one as if it was made by an emperor who might be one of the modern Greeks and maybe ruled that area which is Turkey now and the design of his coin included the main lines of old Syracuse coins and he or she added a unique mask as you can see some devil with two horns so there's something creative about it no doubt , finally i understand you only follw well-known records listing coins by date and eras but don't forget Greek empire was much larger than Greek now and some ancient Greek cities or even kingdoms like that one which was defeated by the Turkish invaders is totally forgotten and maybe my coin belongs to one of such modern Greek colonies in Asia no idea but i really like that look on it's front side!

I'm not sure what the point of all this is, but it's a MODERN fake coin, a copy made to fool tourists. No emperor or Turkish bey ever made it.
Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 08:50:51 am »
Sorry Danny K, but your idea is impossible. The people who have replied here, including me, know the history of Greece and Turkey from ancient times to modern. We know the coins they struck. This is simply a modern fake (modern could mean as old as a few hundred years). It may have been cast to sell to tourists or collectors or it may have been cast for jewelry. Those are the only two possibilities.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Danny K

• Legionary
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 06:22:05 am »
Thank you Mr Sermarini for your reply , I'm someone who's living in the middle East so I'm living within the history pages and not just reading it , I'd like to share a real story , once when i was living in Egypt, a neighbour was a security guard working for the Egyptian ministry of culture and he used to guard sites like museums and places like the pyramids area and other locations and you know Egypt is full og such sites worthy to keep securities to guard , someday he told me he is guarding a new interesting site which basically belongs to the ancient Egyptian civilization and guess what it's not included or listed anywhere but only few hundreds of people worldwide with a good knowledge about it , that site is including pyramids too and other some ancient tombs for the Hores and all was built by someone who supposed to be the new pharoh of Egypt but his younger brother didn't let him and then the younger brother became the actual well known pharoh whatever his name is don't remember and the eldest brother moved to a deserted area and started to act like a real pharoah but not supported by the Egyptian army or even historians, i think this story is not just an Egyptian story but it's happening everywhere, it's impossible to satisfy everyone here and historians the ancient ones are humans just like everyone here , if they mentioned something the king or the emperor or the pharoah dislike or really want to demolish then the historian is a history! One final thing , you're witnessing the fall down of the western or the American civilization now and you at least should start your own researchers to know why you failed to make it for more than 500 years!

Offline Danny K

• Legionary
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 06:46:01 am »
I recommend to start with following the footsteps of ancient historians giving you less information about the civilization they represent or the surrounding civilizations and non of such civilizations was strong enough to make it for more than few thousands of years even they were smart and determined to survive, you never get something perfect out of historians and my coin is not made for jewelry and not made of silver to be sold for tourists as Syracuse sample, it's something unknown yet this is it!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 08:11:34 am »
You have the perfect right to believe whatever you want to believe, but I do not think you will ever find an experienced numismatist who will conclude that lump of metal is anything but a modern fake made to sell to tourists.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 08:21:39 am »
People can be strange: they come to ask, and when they get an answer, they start teaching those they asked.

BTW there are many real stories from the middle East in "Arabian Nights" (aka "One Thousand and One Nights"). I highly recommend.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 10:56:33 am »
You denigrate reading? You think that living in the Middle East is teaching you history. You describe some site, but don't even know the name of it. I promise it is on Google earth and there is at least one documentary about it, as well as books and articles about it. BTW, I lived in the Middle East for a year. I learned a bit about the culture, but didn't actually learn a lot about the history from being there and breathing the air. It did motivate me to READ and learn about the history. You should hope you are wrong about western or American civilization. While not everything the west did in the past was great, the current state of western civilization is far more enlightened than any other culture past or present. I have been to dozens of countries, including in many in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, as well as Europe and the Americas. The entire world is widely influenced by western civilization and other than fast food is mostly better for it. Discussing modern politics is not permitted here. If you do it again, you will be banned.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity