Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Forget MOU's, Museums and the curse of knowledge

<< < (4/4)

ickster:
I agree with Jay's last couple of lines. I have found there's about 1 in 10 people in any given organization who do 80% of the work. This will be the person who responds in a timely manner and actually knows what they are talking about. The key is to find these people. It can be as hard as finding that mint condition Eid Mar we all want, but almost as rewarding once you find them. My method is to contact the organization in the last hour of business, as these people are usually the ones with the ethics to still be at work.

It holds true in almost any organization in any country. It's even more true in government bureaucracies.

cicerokid:
That is a more wing and a prayer method.

I have written 2 articles in the past week on NEWSTYLES on academia.edu both criticising Museo Archaeolgica Chieti for its ignorant and deliberate obstructive, ignoring of my attempts to access the Poggio Picenze hoard IGCH for research. The first called "The pointless pursuit of Numismatical knowledge-an update on the Poggio Pincenze Hoard IGCH 2056" has had over 100 views on academia.edu and a top 3% article. the 2nd " The NewStyle Athens problem" has had 20 views.
I have had some comments but one is very promising from an Italian guy who wants to study the hoard.

Why don't you log into academia.edu and read them. This pointless "find the right staff member" approach will never work, well I've tried the curators, directors and even the Italian Embassy in London. Silence.

If you got a late LRB there are plenty who would like to comment give you a RIC number and all that but since practically all the people involved in NEWSTYLES are dead! The insoluble problem of the NEWSTYLES can be cracked if museums get off their lazy butts!

Try some original research yourself! Most coin sites are self appreciation sites garnering " Nice Coin" responses. The over appreciation of Mass Classic Owls is a case in point, a full crest etc does not tell you anything new, the composition of the hoards can? So a good example out of tens of thousands is practically pointless, don't you agree?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version