Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitative tremissis of Zeno (or Odovacer in name of Zeno?)  (Read 432 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Imitative tremissis of Zeno (or Odovacer in name of Zeno?)
« on: January 27, 2022, 02:48:07 pm »
Hi All

This week i received this gorgeous tremissis, which was sold at auction as an imitative tremissis of emperor Zeno
The obverse shows two consecutive retrograde letters, the  :reversedN: and  :reversedZ:, which is rather common on 'barbaric' issues.
However, according to RIC the reversed letter Z also regularly appears on Odovacer-in-name-of-Zeno-tremissises (RIC X 3639, 3661 and 3663)
So, what do you think, was this tremissis struck by an unknown Germanic tribe (Vandals? Goths?), or could it've been struck by Odovacer in Ravenna?
I'd love to know the history :)

Gr Luuk

Weight: 1.36 g
Diameter: 13 mm
Obverse: D :reversedN:  :reversedZ: ENO P-ERP F AVG
Reverse: cross within wreath
Exergue: COMOB

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Re: Imitative tremissis of Zeno (or Odovacer in name of Zeno?)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 11:25:37 am »
Update: I've found a matching obverse with a tremissis sold at auction in 2014.
I'm now pretty convinced it's a tremissis struck by Odovacer in name of Zeno at the Rome mint.
Literature: RIC 3663

All coins are guaranteed for eternity