Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?  (Read 583 times)

Dave S3

Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:22:40 pm »
This one is a really nice coin, depicting a chariot with two horses driving left. I can't quite make out the driver's details, looks possibly three-headed? There is an odd field symbol with what looks like a J on its side wearing a ring. It is very similar to some coins from Saracyuse, however I couldn't find bronze ones going left, nor with the obverse deity.

Under the chariot the magistrate name seems to be "PP?TTIO".

Reverse possibly depicts Athena without a helmet? There are some odd field lines, possibly they are details, or possibly the flan was just not flat or even it could be a reused flan.

The coin is 16mm wide and 4.1g in weight.

Any help, as always, very much appreciated :)

regards
David

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 01:55:58 am »
Looks like this coin of the Brettii:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=106747

Pekka K

Dave S3

Re: Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 02:05:57 am »
Aced it again! And I got to learn another thing; two horse chariots are called "bigas"!

Much appreciated
Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity