Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Licinius Rarity

(1/1)

Arles:
This coin just went by the boards and I was rather surprised that the competition for it wasn`t a little more heated. Obverse IMP LICINIVS PF AVG, reverse LIBERATOR ORBIS. Unlisted in RIC, not sure if it`s recorded anywhere else, although I believe this reverse is recorded for Constantine in Victor Failmezger`s book. Just thought I would throw it out there since it seems to be quite rare.
Keith

curtislclay:
    Another, or possibly the same specimen, was reported to Moneta-L by R. Raciti on 12 Sept. 2003.  I probably downloaded an image, but it's still unfiled so difficult to locate.
    A. Alfoeldi wrote an article on this type, but I don't remember where or whether he too knew it for both Constantine I and Licinius.
    These two coins have become RIC 17A and 17B in my RIC VII, p. 298.  It's not only a new type, but a whole new issue at Rome, R*P.  "Liberator of the World" at this date and at the mint of Rome must refer to the defeat of Maxentius, who seems to be compared to a ravaging lion that the emperors have hunted down and slain!
    I agree that $203 was very reasonable for such a rare and interesting type.  I would have bid higher myself if there weren't already so many interesting earlier imperial and provincial coins to buy!  Were you the buyer?

Jericho:
Wow, never seen that type.  Thanks for posting it!

curtislclay:
    Although not in RIC because no actual specimen had been seen, this rev. type for Constantine I was already reported by Banduri in 1718 and is cited by Cohen 317 (30 francs) from Banduri and Tanini.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version