Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Valens AE23mm RIC and Rarity Plz

(1/5) > >>

oerlikon20mm:
Recent Acquisition..I'll post better pics when the coin arrives....is this official or barbaric?  

Gunner

oerlikon20mm:
Reverse..having trouble with pics..

Jerome Holderman:
I vote Barbaric. Style is very odd.

Gert:
I agree with JDholds. Definately a barbarous imitation. The style is odd and the letters are blundered. The type is common but relatively rare for this period: 'restitutor reipublicae', emperor standing, head r. holding labarum & being crowned by Victory.

The initial 'R' of the reverse-legend, for example, is engraved as a reversed Greek sigma. This is an indication of barbarous origin. The original coin must have come from Antioch (ANT is readable)

Note also that a christogram (in which Chi resembles + rather than x) has been put into the left field. I couldn't find this mintmark for this particular type at Anticoh. Because the christogram is very clearly executed, it's tempting to speculate some converted barbarous tribe put the monogram of Christ into the design knowing its symbolism.

Very nice imitation. The more I write about it, the more envious I become of it!

Best regards,
Gert

Rugser:
Hi Gunner

The my seem is very different as regards the precedents.

I have observed that your coin is equal for dimension and legend to that of the # 41 Cohen

D/ DN VALENS PER F AVG
R/ RESTITVTOR REIPVBLICAE  in ex. ANTI

... the only difference is in the metal..   ;D ;D

Therefore it is my opinion that this coin is a "fourrè" of Solid.

http://www.i-numis.com/rome/books/cohen/vol_viii/p109.html

ser

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version