Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins Discussion Forum

Newbie need I.D. help with Celtic? coin

<< < (2/3) > >>

Robert_Brenchley:
Can't find anything like it, I don't think its a UK coin. Could it be Greek? I'm actually quite unsure where one ends and the other begins.

Coinshooter:
Thanks Tacrolimus,
How did you get both pics next to each other like that?

I looked at the figure on the front of this coin and thought it was a man, but maybe it's just an ugly woman! The letter above the o appears to be an upside down v.

There must be someone out there who is an expert on all of these types of coins (celtic or not). Pull out those books that I don't have guys and see what pics you have.

Thanks,
Coinshooter

tacrolimus:

--- Quote from: Coinshooter on May 12, 2004, 06:30:37 pm ---
How did you get both pics next to each other like that?

--- End quote ---

I simply merged the images you posted by photoeditor into a new file; anyway you can also post a second image (ie coin's reverse) simply replying to your own post.
Finally, i can't identify your coin. Sorry

maridvnvm:
I don't know if this will add any value to what has already been discussed but this is what I see. I don't know of any coin that matches the description but then again this is not my area.
Could the bust on the reverse be an attempt at "Head of Hercules in lionskin", rather than an odd hairstyle. The obverse looks more like a gryphon springing right to my eyes than a pegasus, it's something about the shape of the head.
It could be celtic imitative but I can't tell.
Anyway, that may have added no value to the discussion but it was worth a shot.
Martin

Coinshooter:
Thanks guys. I'll keep looking, maybe something will pop up. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version