Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antiquity of the Day  (Read 3102 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Antiquity of the Day
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:27 am »
Perhaps I can start an "Antiquity of the Day" thread (AotD) - let's see.

This little chap is a recent acquisition - well not so little, as he stands 9 inches tall.

He comes from the Northern Qi (or Ch'i) period, a dynasty that ruled Northern China 549-577 AD, before being overrun by the Northern Zhou.

His right hand is drilled to take a banner or a weapon and I am tempted make a little flag for him! He has also been rolling in the mud, but the dirt is quite soft and I have removed some.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Laetvs

Re: Antiquity of the Day
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:46 pm »
Wow, he's in great shape!

Offline Tantalus

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:09:30 pm »
Wonderful! Congratulations on the beautiful addition!  :)
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 12:41:40 pm »
OK, anyone ready for another AotD?

This neat bowl (I'm sure there is a 'proper' name for it) is from Graecia Magna (i.e. southern Italy) from around 4th century BC. The vital statistics are 3" high, 4.5" across the bowl and 8" across the handles.

It may be stating the obvious - or perhaps it's not - that the face of the 'Lady of Fashion'  is not painted onto the bowl, rather that it is outlined by the black paint and plus there a couple of splodges of white paint for decoration.

Apulia was the leading South Italian vase painting tradition between 430 and 300 BC. Of the circa 20,000 surviving specimens of Italian red-figure vases, about half are from Apulian production, while the rest is from the four other centres of production, namely Paestum, Campania, Lucania and Sicily. This includes, of course, the much more lavish (and expensive) kraters, etc.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:54:56 am »
I'd call it a squat skyphos.  P.L.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:14:19 pm »
Today has almost passed without an antiquity so here is my first shot.

"Gothic" mace head.  14th century AD, Austrian find.  Those of you who are extra observant will notice that it is lying rather flat.  That is because it is sadly missing two of its original 6 flanges.  These were copper-braised on separately and don't always survive.

Shawn

PS  I only noticed after posting the picture the ironic contrast between two beautiful delicate pottery/ceramic items and a brute-force weapon.....
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity