Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Another Green Patina Gordian III

(1/3) > >>

Curtis JJ:
I haven't posted a Coin of the Day before (just a Forum COTD), so not sure if they require any special qualification beyond a coin one wants to show today... But seeing kc's beautiful green Gordian III reminded me that I recently bought one myself, and thought it had one of the nicest patinas in my collection.

I bought it for my "captives" collection (under Victory's shield), but was also interested in the Adrian Lang Collection (Leu Auction 12, l. photo, [ACS LINK]), and recognized it from George His' well-known collection of Gordian III (CNG 69 and Wildwinds "plate coin," r. photo, [ACS LINK]), which Leu had overlooked.

Gordian III Sestertius (31 mm, 20.72 g). Rome, 244 CE. RIC 337a.

Both previous collectors (Adrian Lang & George His) collected minerals first, before becoming coin collectors, and later worked in professions related to geology/mining. It made sense to me those interested in minerology would be attracted to a coin with such a rich patina.

For those who like coin-in-hand videos, it's the only way I felt I'd captured the range of colors/textures: Imgur [LINK] or Youtube [LINK]. But here's the "comic strip" version, showing some of the different colors:

Jay GT4:
Spectacular!

quadrans:
Great 🤗👍

Molinari:
Great coin!

Virgil H:
Simply lovely.
Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page