Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question (materials posted elsewhere) and my first article (Richard J Plant)  (Read 578 times)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
I've just added my first article, a biography of Richard J Plant (1928-2020), AKA "the Reverend of Numismatics" -- https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Richard%20J%20Plant

A question. I assume the answer is "Yes," but is this Okay:

I excerpted and edited the Numiswiki article from my own blog post that I've already "published" on my website (my original post [LINK] was from 24 Sep 2022). Is that okay? I didn't share my website or anything on Numiswiki, but thought I might include a footnote on my blogpost that I cross-posted it as a Numiswiki article, just so no one would think Numiswiki was plagiarizing from random blogs.

If it's okay, I have written my own "provenance glossary" (Rambach's term) with ~150 author/collector entries, consisting of biographies, bibliographies, and/or collection histories. Many of them already have Numiswiki articles, and others aren't interesting enough for one, but some are notable enough for a page but don't have one yet.

(It was research for my own collection, but I'd hoped I would also be able to share it with anyone who might find it useful.)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
I can't imagine this would not be OK, especially since you are copyright holder for the material. We all appreciate your efforts here.

Virgil

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ahhh, YEAH!!!!!

Thanks. :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Hi,
Did you meet Richard? He was a friend of mine and I visited him and he me. We used to live about 30 miles apart. I can still hear his very distinctive voice. He offered to conduct my late father's funeral service. His passing was a great loss and I was just leafing through his Numismatic Journey through the Bible earlier today.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
I never met him, but I wish I'd been able to. I've only heard positive things about him personally.

I did the background research because I've gotten interested the biographies of notable collectors, authors, dealers, etc. Since he wrote many books, it was easy and interesting to write up a short bio (and it helped greatly to find materials like Mark Fox's interview with him in The Celator).

I admire his books quite a bit and, once it came up for sale, his collection as well (though it sounds like a lot of his notes weren't preserved; luckily he had a large body of written work). His was obviously a very patient and studious collector, and managed to find great coins at affordable prices. I'm sure there will be collectors who come across "Ex-Robert Plant Collection" coins for sale, but may not be aware of who he is at first, or have been exposed to his books.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
I love his books, especially his Greek types book. That is one of my go to books when I don't have a clue. It almost always gets me in the ballpark for more specific research.

Virgil

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Hi

I was sadly outbid on all the lots of his post mortem sale but acquired and exchanged a number of coins with him. He had a wonderful, "plummy", voice that was so engaging. His books were sometimes criticised for the drawings, but they were engaging and his Greek coins volume pointed me in the right direction so many times.

A gentleman always willing to share his knowledge.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
Using drawings was an interesting strategy. I think it's even possible they've become more useful over time, since now it's easy to find photographs. In 1979 photographs of every imaginable type didn't yet abound, so some of them may have been unfamiliar. But now, having an idealized drawing plus photos can be helpful for highlighting and emphasizing which details are important. Especially for the inscriptions / legends, a main interest of his, which can be much easier to read in a line drawing. (Or for a coin type that's almost never centered/struck with complete legends, like the type below.)

One of my most treasured "plate coins" is a nice-enough but otherwise rather ordinary Provincial bronze from Samaria, Neapolis, which I'm fairly confident he used as the model for his Greek Coin Types # 1881 (for the reverse, anyway):

Roman Judaea, Samaria, Neapolis, Domitian AE20 (Assarion or Dupondius?) (20mm, 7.11g, 6h), dated Year 11 (L-AI), 82-83 CE.
Obverse: ΑΥΤΟΚ ΔΟΜΙΤΙΑΝΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ. Laureate head of Domitian.
Reverse: ΦΛΑΟΥΙ ΝΕΑΠΟΛΙ ΣΑΜΑ L – ΑΙ. Palm tree.
References: RPC 2220; Plant 1881 (this rev. illustrated?).
Provenance: Ex Collection of Rev. Richard J Plant (1928-2020); Naville 64 (2021), 235.

I noticed another one at a CNG auction recently, an Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Drachm with the Lighthouse of Alexandria [LINK] which I'm sure served as the model for his # 456. I really wish I could've hung in the bidding on that one, especially since I thought it sold for too little.

I've got a little smattering of ex-Plant coins from various Naville sales:

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
I have to admit, I like the line drawings better that photographs, which is one reason I so love his books, especially, as mentioned, the Greek one. Also, the cross references, etc, are invaluable. In todays photo world, we have lost the value of drawings I think. Once I have narrowed a coin down, that is when the research with photos come in, but if coin ID sites used line drawings rather than photos, I would't argue. I know, not going to happen. The interesting collorary is that medical art illustration seems to have remained alive (at least to a point, I guess) because it depicts things photographs just cannot.

Virgil

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
The Roman coin photos on the covers his Roman Silver Coin - A Price Guide and Roman Base Coin - A Price Guide were from the FORVM shop.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity