Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Have you travelled to ancient coin-related places?

(1/3) > >>

Ron C2:
I thought it might be fun for those of us not living in a former ancient civilization's territory that minted coins to talk about where we've gone for the sake of coin or ancient civilization tourism.

I have been a fairly prolific traveller over the years and in the last 5 years I've been specifically targetting locations with connections to ancient numismatics.

Some of the places I've hit in the last 5 years, despite the pandemic, include:

- Rome (twice)
- Venice (twice)
- Florence (twice), including a tour with an expert in Roman florence
- Pompeii
- London
- Paris
- Orleans
- Tours
- Naples
- Amalfi with it's wonderful Roman roads
- Cinque Terra
- Verona Amphitheatre

In February I'm visiting Cairo, the Giza plateau, the valley of the kings, Aswan, Luxor, Kom Ombo and Edfu.

Curious to hear where you've all recently been.

Dominic T:
Kaboul, P’Yongyang, Kiev, Addis Ababa and other exotic places. All with my air miles.
DT

Joe Sermarini:
And please add your photos to our ancient sites photo gallery....

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=150

Ron C2:
Great idea Joe, I'll scare up some shots today or tomorrow :)

Sap:
I have only been overseas once in my adult life. It was a 'church history tour" of Turkey in 2014 that included the cities of the Seven Churches of Revelation. One of those cities is, of course, Sardis, "the place where coins were invented". There's a section of the ruins in Sardis (modern-day Sart) that's identified as the "Mint of Croesus" - it's more the "gold refinery of Croesus", but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it for the tourists. The others on the tour group knew I collected ancient coins, so they insisted we stop there so I could see it.

Here's a picture of the site, and of the tourist info panel there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version