Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small 15mm Bronze Cut Down Follis Filed to Strike This One? Thoughts Appreciated  (Read 875 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Hello Everyone! I hope that you're having a great day... here is a 15mm bronze, I'm guessing made by strike to be a Pentanummium? My first thought is that it was a cut-down Follis. It has, and was struck through and over, heavy filing as seen. It's still probably a cut-down coin trimmed and filed for striking this one? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Alexius I Comnenus and John II, AE Half tetarteron
Thessalonica or Cyprus mint
Facing bust of the Virgin Mary, hands not raised
Crowned bust of Alexius facing, wearing jewelled chlamys, holding labarum and cross on globe.
SBCV 1934
Regards,
Vlad.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
I agree with Vlad but I would just leave it as an Alexius coin , not John II.

At times it has been known to be rare , then a few hit the market mostly from Cyprus, it became common for a while. Now they are drying up again.  Nice find.

I personally think it was minted in Cyprus but that theory has no written conformation of a mint being there during Alexius rule.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Thanks, guys! I thought maybe John II / St. Demetrios, but it is St. Mary

All coins are guaranteed for eternity