Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

Venetian Grosso - Jacopo Tiepolo - Variety or Error? Reference?

(1/1)

OldMoney:
Does anyone have Biaggi, Montenegro, or another detailed reference that deals with the Venetian coinage
of Jacopo and Lorenzo Tiepolo?
I have an example of a Grosso of the former Doge which reads "•IA TЭVPL'••", with the "Є" reversed.
It appears to be an error or variety, but I wanted to know whether it was previously known or published.
If so, can anyone assist with a more precise reference? TIA

- Walter
P.S. I have no image as yet.

Anaximander:
Medieval European Coinage, Vol. 12 (Cambridge, 2016) has grosso from the Fitzwilliam Museum collection, including those from the Venetian doges.  Jacopo Tiepolo (43rd doge) used legends similar to yours, but none are recorded as having a reversed Є.  I shouldn't think an engraver error would rise to the level of being its own type, but I'm sure it would garner a passing mention.

OldMoney:
Thanks Anaximander,
I had forgotten about Grierson's monumental works.
You are probably correct, but as there are a number of separate entries for the number
and/or position of the various dots or marks then I wouldn't be surprised if this particular
variant were given a separate entry by some cataloguer. I suppose it comes down to the
level of detail recorded in each instance.
If anyone else has Biaggi or Montenegro then perhaps they can let us both know whether
this level of details was observed by those cataloguers. I am curious to see!

- Walter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version