Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Post pictures of your Ushabti!  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Platon

• Consul
  • To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle.
Post pictures of your Ushabti!
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:42:55 pm »
It would be interesting to see if there is a good variety of ushabtis or shabti owned by users on this board. Ushabtis are perhaps the most collectable variety of ancient Egyptian antiquities. I will start by posting the two modest ushabtis that I own. They were likely created in the Ptolomaic era of 300-30 BC. They are both made of faience and both roughly 6cm tall.

[BROKEN LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Juli

Re: Post pictures of your Ushabti!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:59:59 pm »
I only have one and it has some damage. Mine is also from the Ptolomaic era and measures about 4 cm or 5 cm if it were complete. I hope to someday get a better more complete one. This is currently my only Egyptian antiquity. I would like to buy more in the future.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:54:00 pm »
Here's one I used to own.  Sold it a few years back.

Offline Platon

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »
Two gorgeous ushabtis! Do you have any idea what the hieroglyphics read on your former ushabti Robert?  There are a few scribbled on the back of one of mine and I am trying to figure out what it might say. Not sure if it might be a name or some form of prayer or something else.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know what the translation might be.

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
Here's a few from my gallery.  First two are 26th dynasty circa 685-525 BC, not sure on third.

Offline Platon

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:49:06 pm »
Does anyone know if smaller ushabtis might've been burried with poorer people, and the larger and more detailed ones for the upper classes? I've always wondered what kind of context my two ushabtis come from. They could've been burried together for one person? Or each was the lone ushabti for a single person? I don't know much about how ushabtis were used in ancient egypt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity