Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Egyptian spoon.  (Read 13819 times)

asmodeus

Egyptian spoon.
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »
Dear fellow collectors.
What is this ?
The spoon was bought in Poland in the early 70s. That is all I know about it. It is clearly of a composite nature, but the picture does not show the true nature of the egyptian couple. In real they look more genuine.

Regards  A.

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
Re: Egyptian spoon.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:28:06 pm »
The writing seems to be Islamic.  Perhaps a tourist trinket?

Offline frederic

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
Hi,

I have almost the same spoon. It comes from my own ancestor (5 generations). She was an actress during 1870-1900. She travelled around the world (China, Japan, Egypt..). She brought back this spoon from Egypt. The exact datation of the purchase of the spoon in Egypt is unknown. We can say it was between 1870 and 1900. It was a tourist trinket bought in a bazar.
I hope these informations would help you.

Best Regards.
Frederic

asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:57:07 am »
Thanks Frederic
This is a strange coincidence and usefull information.

Happy holliday   A.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »
Thats interesting. Could it have been for tourists in the late nineteenth century?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity