Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Page on Larissian Silver Facing Head Drachms: Herrmann to Martin to Lorber  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
I realize that the subject line above is clumsy, as is the title of the NumisWiki page that I just created (see below), but I couldn’t think of better ones. With respect to Larissian Silver Facing Head Drachms I’ve created a spreadsheet to help myself visualze Fritz Herrmann’s chronology, Thomas Martin’s revision of that chronology, subsequent revisions by Catharine Lorber, and minting dates put forth by each author. It is not the most user friendly resource, I must admit, but perhaps someone will find it of value or even improve it.

I’ve titled the page Herrmann to Martin to Lorber. If someone has a better title and can change it, then please do so.

Thanks.

Tracy

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I think "Facing Head Drachms of Larissa." The subtitle, which should not be part of the title in the NumisWiki URL, could be "Herrmann to Martin to Lorber."  If you like that, I will make it so.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
I think "Facing Head Drachms of Larissa." The subtitle, which should not be part of the title in the NumisWiki URL, could be "Herrmann to Martin to Lorber."  If you like that, I will make it so.

Joe,

I like your suggestion. Please feel free to make the change, at your convenience.

Thanks.

Tracy

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Done. I also did some reformatting so it better fits the NumisWiki page width. The name is too long to autolink as a keyword, but I have added a manual link below.

Facing Head Drachms of Larissa

It is interesting to see the progress through generations of numismatists. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Joe,

Thank you for all the work that you have done on the page, especially the reformatting. I struggled with the formatting issue so I just punted by copying and pasting the spreadsheet.

It is indeed interesting to see the progression throughout the generations of numismatisists. I was struck by Herrmann's project. When he was able he tried to anchor the chronology in history, and then chose the best explanation that he could find for the rest of the series. He even admits in his article that his chronological system is completely hypocritical.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Uh, I just caught the mistake of mine in the last post. Herrmann did not see his chronological system as being hypocritical. Rather, he saw it as hypothetical.  ;D

Tracy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity