Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justinian 8-nummi  (Read 828 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Justinian 8-nummi
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:35 am »
The type description in Sear for these 8-nummi varieties states that 'sometimes' there is an exergual line, but mentions no exergual text. And the 8-nummi coins listed in DOC and BMC all seem to be without TES or any other mint designation. So what do you make of this?

Bill R.

Offline Posa

• Consul
Re: Justinian 8-nummi
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:19 am »
I´m not quite sure, what this really is beneath the line, because normally the E in TES is the rounded  :Greek_epsilon: and not a rectangular one.

gegards Posa

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:02:04 am »
I´m not quite sure, what this really is beneath the line, because normally the E in TES is the rounded  :Greek_epsilon: and not a rectangular one.

gegards Posa

Yes, indeed. And the word 'normally' is almost not strong enough: I'm sure I've never seen a specimen of the 16-nummi varieties with a rectangular Latin E. So I wondered whether the apparent TE[ ] could be some sort of undertype effect, or some curious wear pattern. It does not look like the result of tooling.

Bill R.

Offline Posa

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:07 am »
Well my first idea was, for the line and the letters end so abrupt, if the die was formerly used for something else and still bares traces of the former cut. It´s of course no result of tooling and overstriking.

Posa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity