Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Club and thunderbolt as mintmark  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Club and thunderbolt as mintmark
« on: January 25, 2007, 03:34:39 pm »
I just ot these  two coins with  specific mintmarks.
Could someone give a comment  on this?

Maximianus AE follis, Rome mint
Obverse: IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, laureate head right.
Reverse: SACRA MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS N N, Moneta standing left, holding scales and
cornucopiae, S club in exergue.
RIC  98b.   

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Galerius AE follis, Rome mint
Obverse:  MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES, laureate head right.
Reverse: SACRA MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS N N, Moneta standing left, holding scales and
cornucopiae, Q thunderbolt in exergue.
Almost full silvering.
RIC 104b.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Club and thunderbolt as mintmark
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 02:58:55 am »
The mint of Rome had three emissions with this kind of mintmark. Ric nrs 96 and 97, minted c. 298/299 and 98-102, minted 300/01. Nrs 96/97 are a group of scarcer folles with the genius of the Roman people on the reverse, the others have Moneta as type one emission with MON VRB, and one with MONET VRB as rev.legend. The control-marks used, in addition to the officina-numbers, are a bolt of lightning and a club. These are obvious symbols of Jupiter and Hercules, the patron deities of both imperial ‘houses’. The two officinae (P and Q) using a lightning bolt in the exergue were ‘theoretically assigned’ to the Jovians, Diocletian and hiscaesarGalerius. The club was used by officinae S and T for the coins of the Herculians, Maximianus and hiscaesar’ Constantius. (RIC uses the word ‘theoretically’ because there also appear folles of Constantius from officinae P and Q).
Your coins have an incorrect ID, by the way, both have MON VRB, not MONET VRB: Maximianus 100b and Galerius RIC102b
Regards
Gert Boersema

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Club and thunderbolt as mintmark
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:29:24 am »
Thank a lot for the explanation and precision in the identification.

My identification of the Maximian coin was taken  from WW which is not correct: the coin is with MON but the description is with MONET.
I communicate Dave the error.

The only example of Galerius coin on web I could find was at Virtual Catalogue where it is identified as RIC 104b. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity