Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Andronicus II, SBCV 2364?  (Read 515 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Andronicus II, SBCV 2364?
« on: November 29, 2022, 01:01:52 am »
Orginally I thought it might be sbcv 2364, but the picture in SB does not show a star in lower left and cross in belt on figure on right.

thanks fo any help, and a secondary question, I just bought Bendall/Donald The later Palaeologian coinage, though have not received it yet. Is it still considered a reasonable reference?

1.87g
22mm

CW

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Andronicus II, SBCV 2364?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:52:47 pm »
Your second question is the book is useful but I find myself using it less now. The use of line drawings makes attributing easier. Also, the index in the back for quick look up is also helpful.

What I find myself using more commonly now is Liantas book BUT I found a proof copy, it is softback, and the images are in color, I use it much more than her hardback that has the pictures in black and white. The proof copy I acquired came from Simon Bendall's library so that is cool too. It was well worn before I got my hands on it.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 11:32:25 pm »
yes I find Lianta's book helpful, a color copy you have, coins in color? interesting, how much easier is that on the eyes? I have a hardback 2009 spink copy from when it came out. Was looking for something to help a bit more with the Paeologan period. yes line drawings are easier on my eyes! wish there was a volume 2 of CLBC....
the Michael VIII Bendell/Donald pamphlet is a little helpful, hence I found a copy of the mentioned book and will take a look at it.

I was looking at Liantas and noted coin 810 as SBCV 2457 and that the Liantas coin shows what appears to be a four point star lower left though no mention is made of it in the description or in SBCV, the Grierson (1466) plate coin is cut off a touch but shows no evidence of a star either. Does your color plate show that possible star any different?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 12:32:17 am »
SBCV 2457 has stars below left and right on the reverse - S.2364 has no stars (see below). And of course the ruler is crowned by a saint on S.2364.

For more details see here (towards the end):

https://www.glebecoins.org/paleos/Articles/The_Thessalonican_Trachea_of_A/the_thessalonican_trachea_of_a.html

Note that Grierson seems to conflate the two types in DOC V (he takes LPC 208,6 = S.2364 to be a variant of LPC 230,5 = S.2457).

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:52:36 am »
Thank you for that.

cw

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 10:35:53 am »
Sorry for my delay, Christmas decorating last night.

Here is a picture of the coin in question. I do find this proof version of the book much easier on the eyes. I also enjoy Labarum app, again between these two resources I find they assist in majority of research.

Yes, the line drawings in CLBC are excellent, not perfect but the best available.  I also appreciated the line diameter for each coin to be included but I am finding that to add more questions than answers. Recently I read a D.M Metcalf article that actually proposed the original idea of measuring diameters of the dies. He wrote this in the mid to late 1990's but that is for another thread.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity