Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A “Complete” Marc Antony Legionary Collection as a Practical Matter ?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul

Hello all: I just updated my MAL album which now includes 30 different coins (and some duplicates). It’s taken 16 months to build this collection. I’ll be upgrading and building a second set (I have two children), but I think as a practical matter the first set is complete. I say that because there seems to be some doubt whether legit PRI, IIX, XIIX, and XVIIII actually exist and because even if all or some do I’m pretty sure I can’t afford them.  There seems to be little doubt about PRI and  XVIIII and more doubt about IIX and XIIX, based in part on the following:

PRI is listed in RSC I, Sear CRI, and Sydenham without caveat, but with Sear noting there are only 3 or 4 known examples.

IIX is listed in RSC I, but as Sear notes without reference to specific authority. Sear doesn’t list IIX, nor does Sydenham.

XIIX is listed in RSC I but with reference to noted cites, except as to Babelon (of which I am unfamiliar), Sydenham does not list XIIX but does note it citing Babelon, and while Sear notes XIIX he states that  without recent confirmation it must be regarded as suspect.

XVIIII is listed in RSC I, Sear CRI, and Sydenham without caveat.

Also, the MAL hoard data chart posted in a previous thread shows very low occurrences of PRI and XVIIII, none of IIX, and doesn’t even list XIIX

It’s well known MALs were struck on flans with a lower fineness of silver— I’ve seen assertions ranging from 75% to 95%. But there is an interesting very old collector’s tag that came with my XII ANTIQVAE stating that the three named and numbered legions, XII ANTIQVAE, XVII CLASSICAE, and XVIII LYBICAE were of the same fineness as the standard denarii of the Republic, about 98% (I think).  That would be an odd thing to just make up so I sure would like to know the authority for that assertion.

I’d welcome feedback about the discussion above and the coins of course. I have a few more duplicates to post and still have two named legions hung up in Customs. However, the seller recently advised Customs contacted them for provenance and other documentation which was provided, so hopefully those can be posted soon too.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A “Complete” Marc Antony Legionary Collection as a Practical Matter ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 07:32:17 am »
Congrats!  That's quite the achievement
Sear's Imperators book is a must have if you are collecting this series.  Not sure if Joe has one in stock

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 04:25:56 pm »

Thanks Jay.  I appreciate your response and help. I do have Sear's The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators, which I abbreviate Sear CRI.  I sure hope to get the other XII A and C SPEC out of Customs soon.  Thanks again. 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 04:31:13 pm »
Ah, I didn't realize that was the abbreviation!  I should have clicked the blue link!  I just say Imperators but I'll update it.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 06:29:17 pm »

LOL, I'm not sure that is the correct abbreviation, or that there is one. It's just one I find convenient.  Maybe I should change it to Sear HCRI ?  Jay, thank you again for helping me assemble this collection.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 06:32:58 pm »
It is correct.  Click on the blue Sear CRI  :)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 09:01:52 am »
Impressive collection!  Must have taken you years to find them all.  That and a few shiny nickels, given the prices I've seen at auction recently. I don't think I'll ever manage your feat.

I hope you can pair the coin images with some nice descriptions, something like what you've done for Julia Soaemias. Those cryptic Roman abbreviations can stand to be spelled out.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 08:50:31 am »

Thanks Anaximander.  I'm thinking that July CoinWeeek article highlighting MALs didn't help-- it may have contributed to interest and what seems like the higher prices we've seen in the Fall season, as opposed to the more moderate prices last Spring.  From looking at the size of your collection and quality of coins shown in your gallery, I'd bet you could put together as good or better collection of MALs, if you were so inclined ! Clearly, some of mine need upgrading, though I'd call it overall a mid-grade (about Fine) collection. It's been fun assembling it and learning more about that period.
As you suggest, I probably will add some discussion to my gallery as time allows. As you know, however, there is not a whole lot to say about the obverse because the design is the same on every coin in this issue; more accurately, explain the obverse once and you've explained it for every coin in the issue.  Of course, more can be said about the reverses, particularly the named legions. 
Thanks again for your feedback.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity