Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Very, very skinny dog of the day

(1/3) > >>

gallienus1:
I have just purchased this interesting Republican denarius at auction. It is slightly porous on the obverse but has a wonderfully detailed and lively reverse. The extreme thinness of Diana’s hound makes me suspect their hunting hasn’t been too successful of late!

Catalogue description is-

C. POSTUMIUS (C.74 B.C.), Rome mint, (3.47 g), obv. Diana draped bust to right bow and quiver at shoulder, rev. hound running right, hunting spear below, [C.]POSTVMI/TA in exergue, (S.330, Cr.394/1b, Syd.785, B. Postumia 9a).

It will go nicely into the cabinet with the other Republican coins in my collection.

Steve

Mat:
Lol on the hunting success. Lovely coin though, congrats.

Randygeki(h2):
 ;D

Awesome coin!

Joss:
Great coin, the dog is flawless.

gallienus1:
Thanks Mat, Randygeki(h2) and Joss for your kind comments. Although the photo is good, the coin does look even better in the hand.

As I get older I am starting to appreciate things that are not usually noticed but beautiful if you take the time to look. Although the image on the reverse of a denarius is tiny, the the artist has actually been able to cut the die with such skill that the dog is given a sympathetic expression that gives the viewer, especially one that has or knows dogs, an emotional impact.

A case of an artist creating the image required by the authorities, but going the extra step to make a little work of art that we can look at and enjoy over 2,000 years after he and his political masters have gone.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version